Gary G' facing deportation

BuffHello

Vietnam may deport, not jail Gary Glitter

Hanoi (dpa) - Former British glam rocker Gary Glitter, awaiting trial on child molestation charges in Vietnam, could be deported with no more prison time if he is found guilty, his lawyer said today.

Lawyer Le Thanh Kinh said that he would ask the court to make expulsion, not prison time, the main sentence if his client is convicted at the trial, which is expected within the next two months.

"There is a possibility that he will be expelled from Vietnam immediately after the trial. We are working towards making this happen," Kinh said by telephone Thursday.

"If deportation is applied as the main punishment, he will be expelled from the country without serving any more prison time," he added.

Glitter's lawyer two days ago admitted that he had paid 2,000 dollars each to the families of the two girls Glitter is accused to molesting in exchange for their cooperation in getting a reduced sentence.

He said that Vietnamese law allows courts leeway to expel foreigners instead of imprisoning them.

However, the prosecutor in the case said it is unlikely that Glitter, 61, whose real name is Paul Francis Gadd, would serve less than three years in a Vietnamese prison.

"He committed lewd acts with more than one child so he will be subject to a sentence of between three and seven years," prosecutor Pham Dinh Cu said.

The aging singer of such 1970s hits as "Rock and Roll (Part 2)" was arrested on November 19 in Ho Chi Minh City after several young girls in the nearby seaside town of Vung Tau, where he had been living, said he molested them.

I don't think the lawyer is doing his client any favours with all these pronouncements. First he comes up with some BS about 'ghosts', then he tells the world about payments to girl's families. Now it's deportation.

Seems to me after all the media attention the Viets will have to give him at least a year or two. Then kick him out after 6 months for medical reasons or something.

Torneyboy said:

Bit like a soap opera...new twist every day

Or a Greek tragedy. It would make an interesting novel but it never will because of the subject matter.

I'm thinking the lawyer may be smarter than I gave him credit for. He got GG off the rape charge which carried the death penalty. And he knows much more about how the Vietnamese judicial system works than I do. Still think he'll serve some time. Can't imagine what he'll do when he gets out.

Archived