Things cost a bit more "at home" ...

Flashermac

Try the Lao Night club up the Street from me...Open 2 Nights a week, soi they have to make it all then...320bht cover charge, 200bht beers, 320bht SOMTOM YOU Heard me right! My favorite is 80+bht for sticky rice if you can find it...200Bht Sticky rice and mango...sometimes 280Bht...I could go on but won't...

I got smart years ago, bought a few cook books...have 3 Lao/Thai stores up the block (a Lao temple as well), a Big Hughe Thai supermarket in Berkeley + 2 smaller markets there as well, Khmer stores in Oakland...and a Ton of Asian markets to buy other ingredients...learned to cook it, and never go out...! Been told by Thais I do a decent job, so why bother...I put on a Thai/Issaarn tape, tell myself I'm handsome and have a nice night at home...

When I was back in the States some years ago, I used to cook Thai food at home. One night I made a nice green curry, using a heavy iron skillet that has been in my family since Moses was in the bullrushes. Everyone said they like the dinner. But the next morning my father made pancakes in that skillet.

Uh oh ... ever had curried pancakes??? :o

Archived