NYE Thailand 2006 - so how was it then?

longwoodguy74

After spending many a NYE out in the bars og BKK and getting pissed off with packed bars, bad service and horrendous wait for taxi home this year we decided to have NYE Party on the apartment roof.

A mixed bunch, 3 Thai-Farang Couples 2 Farang Couples and a bunch of Thais, Mrs workfriends and Neighbours friends.

What a night, eating drinking and generaly having a ball, great view of all the fireworks going off all over Bangkok at midnight and fortunatley no one fell off the roof.

10:20AM and the party is still going strong

I have never experienced such a dead new years in Bangkok!!! It was astonishing.

As usual I made the trek to patpong. In prior years Silom road was so full of people you couldn't move on new years. I mean physically there was a sea of people (mainly Thai) so tight inching along you couldn't move forward, back, or side ways. You just were swept along in the flow. In crowds that big and tight, I always feared if someone were to panic, many including myself might suffocate from all the bodies pushing. Not this year--normal amount of foot traffic just like any other day.

Took a cursory look at the soi?s: Thaniya (Japanese venues): dead, soi 3 (gay area): happening with lots of outdoor tables packed, soi 2 (beer bars): going strong, soi 1 (gogo?s): normal. Overall bars had a regular number of customers; busier bars were busy, quieter bars were quiet. Barfine 1000 (double) before 1am and 500 (regular) after.

Off topic: A good looking katoey approached me in King Corner. Knowing how mercenary and bent on ST they are and deep down despise farangs I wanted a new a strategy to get rid of her. I didn't want the normal chain of events. You know, 30 seconds of chit chat, then being asking for a drink, declining, and then her stomping off mad like I did something wrong and flinging insults that I am a cheap bastard. As she encouraged me to pay bar I quietly dropped a seed ?sometimes I like long time?. She thought a moment and said ?if you make me happy, *maybe* I can go long time?, Haha, where do they come up with this stuff?! Me pay YOU and then try to appease your every whim at which time you'll ditch me? My response, 3 words: ?go dance now? and she was gone in a heart beat.

As the night wore on, the stages throughout pong were getting alarmingly sparse. Around 3am I decided to go to Camelot to find some real action only to discover a completely empty stage and they didn't have a single girl, "only happy new year now" as the dek serve explained. No thanks!

Having had enough, headed back the earliest and most sober for a new years. The skytrain on previous years overflowed with people even in extremely late hours, but this night you could count the passengers on one hand. For some reason, this year seemed real light on celebration.

Just a quiet one for me. Usualy I go all through the night untill the next morning, but i just couldnt be arsed this year so stocked the fridge with Singha and watched the fireworks from the balcony. I enjoyed it in as much as 'thank fuck, its nearly all over!', not to sound misserable but it was a pants Christmas this year... will make up for it next year though.

Off topic, but you cant beat NYE in your own country!

HNY and cheers to all

:beer:

As my GF is not in BKK I decided I'd try the countdown at the WTC, arrived there at 8.30 and the crowd was getting big, I was fortunate to get myself sat on top one of the electrical/telephone junction boxes directly in front of the stage so had one of the best views of the night, the best entertainment was in watching the crowd and the police just have increasingly poor control. It was comical to see groups of police standing around looking bemused whilst a senior officer kept rushing about shouting at the crowd and getting very frustrated.I thought they had decided to stop vehicle traffic at 9pm but there were cars, buses and motorbikes trying to get through right up till 10.15 when a bus had just got about halfway but there was just no way through the crowd so it had to be reversed back towards sukumvit.

I saw a number of people faintor get very distressed having panic attacks, I just don't understand why people would take young kids, dogs, bycycles and all n sundry into a dense crowd, there was a brief scuffle when some guy apperead to try and steal a phone of a girl,the crowd really turned on him with a few people hitting him across the head and he was fortunate the police arrivedand took him way.

At one point somebody passing below me handed me a wallet thinking it was mine and had dropped to the floor, it was'nt and having looked inside it still contained cash and cards and had it given over to the police, nice bit of honesty there from the guy that gave it to me I thought.

As an excersise in crowd control I guess they survived the night quite well have not having lots of alcohol flowing always kept it manageable.

I then decided to head off towards nana disco and spent the rest of the night there picking up a little cutie who then saw me through to breakfast.

I've some pictures which I'll post later.

Not the most memorable new year but interesting enough.

JP :xmascheer

Happy 2006 to all !

NYE was great in bkk !

Went over to Gullivers soi 5 with one of my GIKS , around 10PM, I had some food there and it was quite full that time.

Then my girl got a call from her friend to come over to Narcissus on soi 23, just before 12 we arrived there and it was amazing.

They had organized a big dance party, both indoors and at a big space outdoors too. It must have been 1000's of people there. Enterance was 600 Baht (1 drink included) and open allnight.

My girl left around 1am (she had to work today) and I could go around to check out the crowds, met a lot of nice girls (most of them drunk !) and danced my way around.

They had set up a few stages outside and dancers in white clothes performed allnight, the crowd could join also.

Great show and atmosphere !

I left at 5AM and had to walk back to BTS Asoke, Soi Cowboy was also still open and they still had some music on the streets, some gogo bars were even open.

And the BTS was open allnight too, very convenient as there were not a lot of taxis available.

I got some pics taken with my mobile, will try to post some of them later today.

Cheers

Tilac

Archived