The Best Image Size?

Solomick

Difficult question indeed.

First look at your resolution.

With an 8 meg picture the size is 3264X2448.

If you print at a resolution of 300 dots per inch, the picture size will be 10.88 X 8.16. (Divide 3264 by 300 and 2448 by 300).

if you print at 600 dpi, the picture size is 5.44 X 4.08.

As you can see, an 8 meg camera doesn't provide as great a high resolution picture as you might think.

The software you use to manipulate the picture can enhance the quality of the picture.

The program you use to manipulate the picture may be a memory hog. If that is the case, manipulations may be very slow and tedious unless you have a lot of ram memory. A fast computer is helpful.

I use files of this size and have no problem. I use both desktop and notebook computers. As far as previewing the pictures, I would reccommend one of the slide show programs. Your camera software should include one. You will have no problems previewing the pictures.

So if you are looking for high quality pictures, I would use the 8 Meg setting.

Another problem you will notice when using the higher setting is that the wait time before you can take another picture has lengthen. This is due to the camera processing the picture.

It is great you have a 2 gig card. That will give you 250 8 Meg pictures (2 gig divide by 8 Meg.).

Archived