The Best Image Size?

Solomick

I bought a new camera a Sony DSC-N1 and I was wanting a bit of advise on image size. Is it better to use the maximum resolution 8M (3264x2448) or go with a small size 1M (1280x960). I do not know which would be the best for normal everday photos. The camera has a 2GB storage card so can hold a lt of photos in each mode.

Also any tips for taken photo's without using the auto function.

Thanks.

3264x2448 is HUGE resolution. You could blow those pictures up to poster size and they'd still be very sharp. But few people actually do that, so it's overkill in most cases, for most people.

But hell, if you have the storage for it, do it. 2GB of memory means 250 pics of 8MB size. It's always best to have the most data possible in your original, because it affords the maximum flexibility later, depending on what you want to do. You can always downsize a big original, but you can't upsize a small original without losing quality.

I also have started using the Raw format recently. You don't need it often, but when you need it (e.g. accidental over or under exposure, wrong colour temparature etc, it is invaluable. But it does take up more storage space, and takes anoher processing step. But for top quality, it is the best.

Don't know if your Sony does it, but it was on my old 828.

Whilst I don't dissagree with the posts already made, there are other considerations to take into account. If all you are wanting to do is take 'everyday' photos and you have no desire to print them much above postcard size or view them on a large high res monitor, then taking them at high res is pointless and does have a few disadvantages.

# At 1 meg resolution you should be able to view your pics at full size on your computer screen without post processing, at 8 meg you can't, you will have to process them first.

# Downloading and working on multiple high res images in photoshop or similar can cause your computer to overheat and lock up unless it is suitably specified for graphic manipulation (tends to affect laptops the most)

# Speed, An 8 meg image will take 8 times longer than a 1 meg image to write/read/download, this may be a problem for some.

I would advise you to try both high and low res and see which suits your needs the best. Hi res does leave you with more options though.

Tips for taken photo's without using the auto function.

#1 Read a decent 'how to' book

#2 Experiment, Experiment, Experiment

Does taken pictures in 8M resolution been that the exposer time is long than that of say 2M, meening that there is more chance of bluring the image from movement? or is the exposer time the same?

I run a Sony lap top it resizes the images to fit screen automatically, there is also a feature on the camera to allow for 16:9 image size for HDTV viewing and 3.2 for postcard printing size images.

As for the non-auto mode, I bought this camera because with the old one I was never able to take good photos in bad light.

I have been experimenting with the ISO, EV and all the other options I have no idea about. I think I will have to by some sort of basic photography book. Anybody know of such a ididots guide to digital camera?

The 8M means that you get 8,000,000 bits (pixels) of data in the image.

It has nothing to do with exposure time, however, if the CCD (picture screen that captures the image) has a slow capture time, you must hold the camera still.

It appears that most of the better cameras use good CCDs, so this is not an issue as it was some years ago.

I use a 4M camera and it is OK. An 8M will give you 35mm film quality pictures, as I was told by a pro photographer.

If you only display the pics on a PC and once in a while print them out (must have a good quality printer), then you can keep the camera at the 4M resolution.

How to do...maybe Cnet or Tech Republic, both available on the in'net, should have some white papers on the subject.

Happy shooting!

Mike

The resolution you take pics with doesn't affect the exposure time, it may make a difference to the time required to write the pic to the memory card.

If you are planning to view your pics on HDTV use hi-res mode.

Regarding low light pics, this can be difficult, try setting the ISO to a high value (simulating a fast film)

Make sure you have the 'white balance' set correctly for the prevailing conditions.

If you can set your camera for appeture priority try setting the appature wide (low f stop), bear in mind this will force a long exposure and could well result in bluring and lack of depth of field.

A fast lens is the best solution but unless your camera has interchangeable lenses this isn't an option for you. If your camera will support it, an off camera high output flash will certainly help, most built in flashes are hopelessly underpowered for anything but close ups. Again experiment with various settings to find what works best with your equipment. Finally, you can work minor miracles with photoshop or similar post processing software to correct the less than perfect shots, I consider it an essential part of getting good photos, I wouldn't leave home without it

There is a appature setting on the camera and I have been experimenting with that. The camera does not have the ability to attached lenses. The camera seems really good at taken pictures in low light without flash which is what I wanted. The old camera if you turned the flash of you just got a black picture but with this one you still catch the colours and get the atmosphere without spoiling it with artifical light.

I have adobe photoshop and have used it in the past to enhance the mistakes from the old camera.

See Here for actual camera.

Archived