non-Thai birth certificate

Zaad

Hi folks,

Has anybody of you got an idea if a second birth certificate (besides the Thai one) is of any use. My baby got the Thai certificate since it was born here in Bangkok, and at the Dutch embassy site it states that it's possible to obtain the Dutch one as well within 30 days.

But it doesn't seem to be significant since the Thai certificate is need to obtain other documents both here and abroad. Moreover, the Thai birth certificate can NOT be replaced by a second certificate from any other nationality.

So what's the use?

I guess I'll obtain one anyway, just to have it... but doubt I'll ever need/use it.

Stupid question as I just don't know this, and hopefully never find out myself: is the thai birth certificate in thai language, or english, or both?

If it's only thai then you should get the dutch certificate for sure.

Should your kid at one day live in the west I am sure authorities are happy to see a birth certificate that they can read. Might save the hassle and costs of translating the thai one.

The Thai birth certificate is in Thai.

And if we wish to leave the Kingdom we need this one and not any other, translated and legalised though.

But I'll get the Dutch one anyway. I know my luck and it'll probably be an important document if I decide not to obtain one :rolleyes:

Zaad, I take it by your posts you are Dutch?

Yep

Will you be trying for duel nationality?

Yep

I would imagine if you want to do this or in the future Zaad jr wants a Nederland passport then the birth certificate will be essential?

No, ..as they stated on their website, this Dutch birth certificate will not replace the Thai one. So if applying for Dutch pasport I'll need to translate and legalise the Thai certificate.

Hence my question here what the use of the Dutch one is. Perhaps something for the future :rolleyes:

None at all, as already explained in a PM, the only worhtwhile registration you can do for your children is in Den Haag. Than they're officialy registered in Holland and as Dutchies.

The Embassy in BKK doesn't do anything more than file the information you give them. That's my understanding, the Dutch Embassy strangely enough doesn't have a registration policy at all. They don't seem to care.

This in stark contrast to the 8-tees when I lived in West Berlin and one had to register with the Dutch Embassy or whatever it was they had in Berlin.

Archived