2 new 10 Baht coins

limbo

Another 2 baht coin -- or the one that's been around for a month or so?

If anyone collects Thai commemorative coins, the best way to buy them is in a set released from the mint. These often include the 1 satang, 5 satang and 10 satang coins which are no longer put into circulation - and may even have a 20 baht coin.

been around a few weeks-- must have missed the thread announcing their arrival.

I just got a bunch of them the other day from ??? fuck, can't remember who gave me 20 baht change in them...

makes me think... in 1,000 years there will be an archiological dig in the old NEP. An archiologist will insist that there was a tank of water, large enough to hold several people, in one of the infamous drinking establishments.

Scoffed at by his peers, the archiologist proudly holds up the remains of a 10 baht coin, oxidized by chlorine, as clearly indicated by the patterns.

I've only got two of them so far. They don't say anything special on them, so I presume they are ordinary coins. Seem to be fairly rare though. Maybe a test run?

There were 2 baht coins back in the '80s, when the 1 baht coin was much bigger. (There was the old 1 baht coin about the size of the present 10 baht still around, and a newer 1 baht coin only about 2/3ds the size. Used to be a melluvahess trying to use pay phones!) The 2 baht coins then were thick and easy to spot, always seemed to be commemoratives. The new ones are not that noticably different from the little 1 baht coins.

p.s. Don't think there was a thread on them, except for SuaDamp complaining that he hadn't got any yet.

Archived