A nice tool for learning to read Thai

Chlp

Recently I got a hold of a book called Thailand Fever, the subject matter of which would probably be of interest to many board members.

The nice thing about the book is that it's a parallel English/Thai translation, page for page. I've been looking for something like this for a while and I even resorted to reading a parallel translation of the Bible. Of course I gave up quickly as it is rather hard and not something you're likely to be able to use, say, on Pattaya Beach Road.

I can read/write basic Thai and I can make out many words and sentences on the signs and on Thai products. I think that reading a parallel translation which greatly reduces the need to look words up in a dictionary will be a good way to improve the reading skills.

Allow me to brag and say that I know both Authors! Both are/were members of the Thai Temple here near my home. The book itself is a decent attempt to bridge the gap. If I understand it, it is NOT a side by side translation at all. The Farang author explains his take in English on certain relationship issues relevent to Thai women/families/Thai culture.

The Thai is explaining the farang take on farangs and our culture to Thais. Basically explaining her point in English for him, and his point in Thai for her... At least that is what was explained to me. Other parts might be an exact translation.

I disagreed with a few points, one of them being telling your family your wife worked in a bar...I suport the don't ask, don't tell policy...Most families might suspect it either way, and might not believe it if it isn't true, so I wouldn't even bring it up...but that's just my opinion. Other wise well worth looking into.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived