KL instead of Thailand to retire?

eee

You have to know how to move around in Malaysia and how to do business, if you don't, you will have a bad experience.

Bumiputra, the best I can translate it, means "native son". It has little to do with the Muslims. The government had the idea to favor native Malays (Bumiputra) for business dealings. It never really took off and has been mostly sidelined. A lot of this has to do with the type of business you are trying to do in Malaysia.

I have found: Indians, mostly in low paying government jobs, as they are somewhat unproductive.

Muslims, CEOs and high ranking government jobs.

Chinese, hard working and the core of doing business in Malaysia.

I deal 99% with the Chinese and it flows smoothly.

I have found some fun things to do there but it can be boring. As I am mostly working there and not there for the nightlife, so I have a different view.

The taxi...I am quick to get right out if they don't turn on the meter, no discussion is required. Usually where I am at. Sri Petaling or Puching, it is not a problem. Where I see the taxi scam the most is downtown KL, around Petronas towers or Time Square.

Long term...would be hard to take for me. I usually do one month at a time, every few months, so I can deal with it.

Looking to retire there, from what I saw on the internet, it would take the same $$$ to get a retirement visa.

With the cost of alcohol maybe 3 X's that of Thailand, I would opt for Thailand at this time.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, only in my dreams could I nip off to the track for a few laps at lunch time.

Don't forget the traffic in KL, it's farken horrible. Also, the price of any car other than a proton, or bike for that matter, is extremely dear.

If you don't care about nightlife, might there be any quite places on the coast?

If things all that bad like fatbastard said about Malaysia, why Thailand lost whole chunk of tourism to Malaysia. Actually Malaysia beat Thailand in tourist arrival since last year. And more and more people are retiring to Malaysia.

Talking about KL traffic being bad, I don't know how you call Bangkok traffic. Talking about Malay taxi being not honest, how do you call all these taxi drivers from Silom, Kao San Road, MBK, at Wat Phra Kaew, all over tourist areas in BKK, do they turn on their meters??!!

I have lived in both countries. fastbastard is too biased towards Thai side maybe he still don't know how to get to fun places.

But for retirement without thinking too much night fun, Malaysia is a better choice. It is a much safer country than Thailand. The corruption is much less than Thailand. Malaysia is less bureacratic than Thailand especially in term of foreigners apply for visa. The visa situation is much more easier there even without retirement visa, one can easy stay up to 90 days then extendable again. The living expenses about the same as in Thailand. Also lots of nice islands and resorts and lots of natural beautys.

So again Malaysia to me is a much better choice to retire than in Thailand if you are not looking for constant night life.

But I personally will much prefer to retire in Brasil. There are many many beautiful and safe towns in Brasil with inexpensive living cost. The visa can stay 90 days with extendable another 90 days, then make a visa run if you do not want to apply for retire visa. Very conveinient.

Some of the beatiful cities I checked out in Brasil

(1) Florianopolis

(2)Buzios, Angra dos Reis, Cabo Frio(state of Rio de Janeiro)

(3) Fortaleza

(4)Santos, Guaruja, Ubatuba, Bertioga(state of Sao Paulo)

(5)Recife, Olinda

(6)Porto Seguro

(7)Curitiba

(8)Porto Alegre

If you are looking for retirement, I sugest you looking into these cities I mentioned above.

I was laughing at fatb's post, but he's right.

I've got this theory that if you live or work in Malaysia first and later on in Thailand, you'll always prefer Malaysia. The opposite applies.

cavanami said:With the cost of alcohol maybe 3 X's that of Thailand, I would opt for Thailand at this time.

Agreed, beer monsters should steer well clear of Malaysia. Not sure about booze being 3 times as much, though. Let?s compare. It's too random to use bar prices, so 7-11 beers make a good base. A 330ml Heineken or Carlsberg (available in BKK and KL) are about RM6 in a KL 7-11. How much is the same in a BKK 7-11? About B35 - 40 (forgot)? From xe.com, today's exchange rate is 1.00 MYR = 10.4711 THB.

So, from all that, I'd say booze in KL is 50% pricier than BKK.

But hey, KL food's cheaper and nicer too! :D

I suspect Malaysia counts the border crossings from Singapore at Tourist arrivals. Singaporeans are constantly crossing the boarder to buy groceries and fill up their gas tank. I don't think this counts the same as people flying in for a multi-day holiday.

Yes it's fact that Malaysia has beat Thailand big margin since 2002 every year in international tourist arrival.

According to World Tourism Organization statistics

type in key word "tourist arrival" in the search space

open up first document"inbound.htm"

open up "world's top tourism destinations 2004"

then see the figures from 2002-2004 yourself.

Malaysia beats Thailand by big margin after an active worldwide campaign of "Malaysia Truely Asia" recent years.

2004 Malaysia total arrival 15.7 million to Thailand 11.7 million.

Archived