KL instead of Thailand to retire?

eee

Many of you wrote good things about KL. Great housing, restaurants and so forth in other threads. With crimes on the rise against farangs and increases in prices of everything in Thailand perhaps consider Malaysia? Only bad thing I read was that the beers were expensive there in KL . Can a farang buy a condo? how about a retirement visa there?Many of you wrote KL is more or equally modern to Singapore. I got this idea from "where would you live if not for Thailand for 6 months out of the year" thread! If things are fine and dandy there, have KL be the home base and travel back and forth to Thailand? What about the night life? It seems that the girls are a little more but you can't have everything right?. I'd rather be safe in a clean inexpensive city. I don't know much about Malaysia but I've been to Thailand many times and was intending to retire there. Can someone expand on Malaysia. Tell me more. Especially about the night life. thanx. chok dii. eee

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a whole website run by Malaya Gov about etiring there, they encourage it!

You get to buy land, just about instant perm res etc.

But retire there? Hmm - I love to work there, but retire I am not so sure, that said my mum was there last week, she hasn't been to KL since she lived there nearly 20 years ago, and she loves how it's changed.

If you want cheap whores, pleanty of chinese ones, plus its only 2 hours to bangkok if you really miss Cowboy!

I'll look for the web site for you

http://www.retiringinmalaysia.com/main.html

DOG

I lived there a decade ago, I got by taking weekend trips to Hat Yai, not for the girls but just to get out of the boring existence in KL. In general its a place that doesn't have any "fun" ambiance, the citizens have put through a few decades of social engineering to behave. One thing that really gets on my tits n the occasional visit is the lack of civility amongst the population. Getting on public transport people will push and shove like a bunch of peasants, very little evidence of smiles or courteous behaviour.

Guest lazyphil

my dad raves about malaya/sia, i enjoy looking at his slides from 50 years ago when he drove his jaguar from singapore to kl to camaron highlands in his navy days :: all a bit different from then now i imagine, these pics would kick sticks and old hippies into touch in a comp!

Archived