KL instead of Thailand to retire?

eee

Unfortunately I have to go to KL a few times a year for work. Apart from perhaps Bandar Seri Begawan, KL has to be the most boring capital in east Asia. I've tried hard over the last several years to have even one good night out...no such luck. As a friend of mine so very aptly puts it, KL is the place where Amway salesmen go to die.

So if you were one of them, I guess you should retire there...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have been to beach club and yes, if one can stand the atrocious music there is compensated action to be found. beware of katoeys...

in clubs with decent music, such as velvet underground, males outnumber females at least 4:1. and most of those girls aren't much to look at, certainly not compared with bkk, sing or any other major regional city...

overall, kl is a cultural wasteland where entertainment, in almost any form, seems frowned upon. unless, of course, it is deemed halal...

dog, you can have all the "fun" in kl, including my share...

colorwolf said:KL has to be the most boring capital in east Asia. I've tried hard over the last several years to have even one good night out..

Each to their own, but Bangsar and Desa Sri Hartamas in the outskirts and Jalan Sultan Ismail in the centre aren't so bad. I prefer the mix of locals, expats and tourists which you rarely get in BKK.

As for retiring in Malaysia, that Make Malaysia My Second Home scheme is only valid for five years. It can, of course, be extended. There's a magazine for KL expats called 'The Expat' believe it or not which includes features about retirees. I've got a copy right here, but no time to flick through now. I think it might be free to subscribe, check www.expatkl.com.

ND,

All due respect to yr Mum, but If my Mum likes any place that would AUTOMATICALLY mean its crossed of my list of fun places. I mean my Mum lives in Surfers and she thinks thats a fun place.

I have have a freind who lives in KL, so visit him occasionally, last time a year ago, couldn't get on the plane back to my beloved Thailand quick enough. Me & wifey and 2 kids where out at the airport 6 hours before the plane went.

Matey, the place SUCKS big time.

In my opinion It sucks for many reasons;

The lack of civility and honesty in general, I find in Thailand, people are much more courteous, Malaysians seemed to make their best efforts to trample my kids to death when we boarded the light rail. No one EVER offered my pregnant wife a seat, in Thailand just the opposite. An honest taxi driver is the exception, the majority will not turn on a meter. I would be a rich man if I had a Ringatt for each time I had standup argument I have had with taxi drivers who thought they we driving taxicabs in London rather than KL. The bullshit Newspapers, reading the local papers is a laughing out loud experience, but the amazing thing is the locals believe it all.

The institiutionalised racism. Every one who is not a Bumiputra, ie not Moslem is disadvantaged, they may have been Malaysia for some generations but they don't have the same rights as Bumi's.

Its Just boring, I am not into night life in a big way but Jesus, trying to find a bit of fun in KL is a battle, my mate has lived there for 22 years and he has a problem finding a place that isn't just a whole lot of expats sitting around a boring bar shooting the shit. AND it rains all the fucking time.

It all sounds too negative, so on the plus side: when I lived there I worked out at Shah Alam and almost next door was the Race circuit. I could slip way from work and put in 20 odd hard laps on my bike and noone seemed to care, in fact the caretakers there seemed happy for the diversion.

Archived