Thai name for Dengue Fever

-j-, isn't that what the CDC site is saying? "Important risk factors for DHF include the strain of the infecting virus, as well as the age, and especially the prior dengue infection history of the patient."

Given that it is listed first, and given that from what I remember from Strunk, general writing style dictates that contributors are listed in order of importance, that is the conclusion locigally reached. Granted, they may have broken style rules and not listed the most important first (given they used the "especially"). If that is the case, I apologize and await your professional response.

Please advise.

Regards,

SD

Yeah. That "especially" is a bit of a bugger.

Note they are talking in the second half specifically about DHF (the hemorrhagic), and there, as said in my earlier post, prior infection gives a 50 to 80% association with DHF. The largest single factor by quite a long way. Age is a bit misleading as well, as there is a big spike in infants which interestingly relates to the *mothers* prior infection status (antibody stuff too tedious to go into here).

Also not the best written text, as the snipped paragraph moves from "serotype" to "strain type" which are different things. There are only four *serotypes* but hundreds of *strain* types (which all belong subclassed under one of the four serotype). The evidence for *strain* type association with DHF is a lot more fluffy.

So yeah. They broke the rules.

-j-

Cool. Thanks for that.

#&%&^%#!! You'd think an establishment like CDC would use better writers who follow established style rules, and not mix dissimilar descriptors, for ease of understanding by (perhaps slightly) intelligent laymen!

Cheers,

SD

iuytrede said:

"Khai Leut Auk describes the severe condition: dengue haemorrhagic fever (DHF) or dengue toxic shock syndrome."

This is not how rural people in the province of Buriram use the word. They use "khai leut awk" like we would use the word "dengue fever": it can be the hemorrhagic, dangerous form, but it can be the more frequent mild form which is "just a fever". You can have "khai leut awk" without "leut awk", even without a rash.

I wouldn`t be surprised to hear that. :)

But that doesn`t alter the fact that there are indeed 2 words describing the variations of the disease and may I add my missus who is about to finish her education as a nurse is well aware of this.

Some people are not.

cheers

hua nguu

>dengue haemorrhagic fever (DHF) or dengue toxic shock syndrome."

Just a minor point, but you need to take the "toxic" out of that. Its either "dengue haemorrhagic fever" (DHF) or "dengue shock syndrome."

"Toxic shock syndrome" (TSS) is an entrely different kettle of fish. Usually resulting from infections with exotoxin producing strains of Staphylococcus aureus (which are, as we all know, bacteria, not viruses as with dengue). TSS hit the headlines a few years back as being associated with tampon usage, although it can occur in other situations.

-j-

Reading this thread has brought me the surprised revelation that I probably had a mild case of Dengue last fall. I had begun playing golf after a 3 year hiatus and on my third time out, developed a severe pain in my right elbow and forearm. I attributed it to some "hitch" in my swing but several days later, the inside of my forearn down to my wrist turned purple-green and then to black. I figured I had somehow broken a blood vessel but from the descriptions here, it sure sounds like Dengue. I had never experienced anything like it before. Maybe the golf exacerbated an underlying existing case.

It will be interesting to see if it re-occurrs.

Archived