Wifi passwords using 802.11b??

Palatkik

I am a newbie when it comes to home Wi-Fi.

Anyone know if I can expect compatibility problems using an older 802.11b notebook card with a new 802.11b/802.11g compatible WiFi hub using a secure password logon to the hub?

In my case the 802.11b never connects if I enable a password on the hub but if I switch off the hub password the card connects. I don't have any problems connecting a newer 802.11g card with or without password.

I use WinXP on all the PC's and all products are Belkin.

Sure,

a 802.11b card might be able to support WPA. But most likely it doesn't. Even some older USB sticks with 802.11g don't support WPA.

Steffi is right, Palatkik has to check which encryption is used on the router. WEP with 64/128 bit, or WPA-PSK (PSK = PreShared Key). And set the notebook card accordingly. If it doesn't support WPA then he has to fall back to WEP. Not as secure as WPA but keeps out most guys who are just up for a free ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Been using WEP 128 with an .11b card/and built in b card for about 2 years. Might just be the support in card or driver issue. I would assume Belkin ( I think you said Belkin) would support it. Doesn't it have a properties screen or setup to help? Also, one of my cards would not take the keyword to build the 128 bit key, I actually had to enter the key in hex. Have you tried using hexadecimal?

Archived