Anti Govt. rally; Thaksin Govt. near at the end

Mentors

Everybody wants ta get into da act! (@Jimmy Durante)

THE NATION

22 February 2006

THAKSIN IN CRISIS

School students side with PM's foes - Inspired by 1973 uprising, teen activists demand "Satan" step down

The anti-Thaksin movement took a youthful twist yesterday as high-school students declared war on the "Satan who disguises himself as a saint".

About 100 youngsters from 30 schools led by students from the prestigious Triam Udom Suksa school called for Thaksin's resignation, saying he had lost his legitimacy to rule the country.

Calling themselves Students for Democracy, they listed 14 reasons why the premier was no longer fit to rule.

The list ranged from accusing him of being a parliamentary dictator to widespread corruption under his government, to his interference in independent organisations plus the failure of his populist policies and education reforms.

Siwawut Sittiwech, one of the three leaders of the group, said the Shin Corp deal with Temasek was the last straw that undermined Thaksin's moral authority. The students also accused him and his family of attempting to avoid paying tax by exploiting legal loopholes.

"He once said he wanted to leave his premiership as a statesman, but now I don't think he is able to spell the word," said Siwawut during a press conference at the 14 October Memorial.

"He also failed to reform education. The entrance examination system lost its credibility the year the PM's daughter took the exam."

Some members of the group are the children of student activists who brought down the military dictatorship in October 1973 after the pro-democracy uprising.

Their protest is the first among high-school students since the 1970s.

The growing criticism against the premier from students and academics, plus pressure from Chamlong Srimuang, prompted Phatra Securities Plc to point out in its analysis of Thailand's political and economic situation that the odds of the premier dissolving Parliament increased from 30 to 50 per cent.

Earlier, university students and lecturers in Bangkok and other provinces launched attacks on the prime minister. Thammasat University's student union has started collecting 50,000 signatures calling for Thaksin's removal.

Triam Udom student leader Yos Tansakul said his group also planned to gather signatures from secondary-school students nationwide to pressure Thaksin to step down. They are also in the process of opening a website forum for young people to exchange political views. They will intensify their protests after the completion of their university entrance examinations on March 1 if Thaksin did not resign by then, Yos said.

He added that his and his friends' actions were frowned upon by some parents and teachers who worried about their safety and the possible effect it would have on their studies.

During the press conference, Yos received a phone call after which he and the other two student leaders removed their school pins to signify that their actions have nothing to do with their school.

"We think, people should have the right to express their opinions on the issues they feel uncomfortable with. If people say we have a duty to study, we would say that this political move is a practical part of our education," he said.

Somchai Pusuko, Triam Udom Suksa's acting director, held a separate press conference yesterday to insist the students' action was not the school's official position.

"I called Yos to check whether he was safe," Somchai said. "I did not try to stop him [from holding the press conference]. I just want to confirm that our school has nothing to do with the students' moves. I also want to beg every party involved [in the anti-Thaksin movement] not to use these students as their tools, they are young and immature."

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Nation today,

PM requests audience with HM the King

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has requested for a meeting with HM the King, intelligence sources said.

The request comes two days before a mass anti-Thaksin rally which government officials believe will be attended by more than 100,000 people and worry could lead to violence.

Thaksin on Thursday met with Privy Council's chairman, Prem Tinsulanond, reportedly seeking advice on the political crisis.

The sources said that schedule for Thaksin has not yet been fixed.

Thaksin announces House dissolution

updated - Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced a House dissolution Friday evening after he was granted an audience with His Majesty the King.

Thaksin told a TV live broadcast that he could not allow a group of people to use mob rule to force him to comply so he decided to return the mandate to the people by holding a snap election on April 2.

Thaksin said he considered that returning the mandate to the people is the best way-out under democratic rule.

"I would like to ask the people to decide whether you still want this government to serve the country ? I have to uphold the democratic rules to return the mandate to the people ? No matter how the people will decide, I'll accept it," Thaksin said on TV, which was broadcast at 8:40 pm on all TV channels.

The prime minister said a group of people, who had lost benefit because of his government, were trying to topple the government while a larger group of people wanted him to stay.

"I beg your permission to return the mandate of the people to make a decision again," Thaksin said on TV.

"I can't accept a decision of people who don't respect the system but claimed to decide for other people.

"April 2 will be an important day for the country. It will not be an ordinary election but it will be a time for you all to show your decision force and I'll accept it with respect."

Before he appeared on TV, he had a spokesman read a statement criticising his opponents for not playing by the rule.

Thaksin entered the Chitralada Palace at 5 pm to be granted the audience and left the palace shortly before 6 pm.

The prime minister then went to the Thai Rak Thai party head office and told reporters there that he had received a royal command to dissolve the House of Representatives.

He appeared relaxed and humming a song.

"Only House dissolution, no Cabinet reshuffle," Thaksin told reporters at his party's head office.

A Government House source said Thaksin decided to dissolve the House because he could find a suitable person to replace him as the prime minister.

The source said Thaksin wanted the snap election to be held as soon as possible. The source said Thaksin wanted to have the election held on April 2 or April 9.

Election Commission member Parinya Nakchattree said the EC would be able to make preparations in time for the election to take place on April 2.

He said the EC would have to send lists of eligible voters to each house at least 20 days before the Election Day but he was confident that the preparations could be made in time.

Suriyasai Katasila, a coordinator of the People's Alliance for Democracy, said the PAD was unhappy with the House dissolution and saw it as an selfish act of the prime minister.

He said the House dissolution would not solve the current political problems but would allow Thaksin to try seek a political come back and prolong his political power.

Anek Laothamthap, a former leader of Mahachon Party, denounced Thaksin for dissolving the House without informing other parties first as he had promised in the past.

Anek said Thaksin used to say he would inform MPs and other parties at least 90 days before a House dissolution so that MPs could switch party.

"He lied and took the edge over other parties," Anek said.

"The hottest rumour in town was that he would seek an audience on Saturday with King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who would have to approve a snap election.

But government spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee said there was no such plan and no crucial decision would be made until after the Sunday rally. "

from here.

So Surapong Suebwonglee is another liar, in some countries you could lose your job for that.

Cheers

Coss

Archived