Olympic '06 - ICEHOCKEY Tournament

Mentors

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes my sister is there now watching the games. Her company is one of the major sponsors of the games for 2010 in vancouver and she has an all expenses paid trip, back stage passes to every event so she can learn about it. Probably chumming around with Wayne Gretzky and the boys now. I am so jeolous!! Hopefully Wayne can give her the tips on who to place their bets on

TURIN, Feb 12 (Reuters)

The coach of Canada's women's ice hockey team said on Sunday she had received angry e-mails following their record 16-0 win over Italy in the Olympic tournament opener.

The thrashing in front of a large crowd at the Palasport Olimpico on Saturday went into the record books as the worst beating in women's Olympic ice hockey history, leading some to accuse Canada of running up the score against the hopelessly mis-matched Italians.

Canadian coach Melody Davidson, however, defended her team explaining that in Olympic competition goal differential could figure into any tie-breaking procedure.

"I received a few of those (e-mails) myself last night," said Davidson. "Regardless of the score, this is the Olympics.

"These girls have worked hard to be here and we would take things away from our team and our opponents and everybody involved if we didn't compete as hard as we could and if we didn't do everything we could to put us where we want to be."

After the game members of the Italian team accepted defeat graciously and had nothing but praise for Canada.

The e-mails had little impact on Canada, as the defending gold medallists continued their scoring rampage on Sunday routing Russia 12-0.

Italy mii dschai roon! :boxing:

I didnt see the whole game but based on what I saw during the 3rd period, Canada was running their offense to score goals and not kill time.

When your up by 10+ goals and the opposing team has not even mounted a serious challange, I'd say that is running up the score. I would have liked to see someone from Italy take a run at one of the players though. If your not going to win and they are going to keep pouring it on, at least let them know there will be a price to be paid for standing in front of the net.

Archived