12 visa runners still in jail

BuffHello

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Foreign tourists would be more confident of their safety if they knew they the police were carrying out their duties strictly according to the law, he added.

Bullshit - not this foreign tourist! I'd be petrified, and the fun in Thailand would go down the drain! The place lives and breathes not-strictly-according-to-the-law...

YimSiam

Hey fellows... all you guys that saying are saying som nom na I don think realize how NASTY the immigration holding cells are in BKK- The inmates controlling the cells regularly beat the living hell out of people for no reason or to extract $$

For a one or two day overstay? :(

Especially when people are on thier way to rectifying the problem by taking a visa run?

I used to visit the IDC at Suan Phlu every once in a while... Yes, it's tough. It's not so bad for the guy who's getting deported in a few days or waiting for his embassy to sort things out for him (or for the thousands of Burmese taking the 'free bus' to Mae Sot), but for the longstayers (and there's people who have been there for 3-5 years, indefinite detention because they can't be deported anywhere) it's hardcore. As in any prison, there are gang conflicts - believe it or not, one serious division is between the Shi'a and Sunni muslims! Iraq, Bangok-style... A lot of mental illness due to the conditions, lack of hope, violence. Some good people volunteering there to help people solve their problems as well. And some BIB making serious money.

A new commander was assigned there a couple years ago, and the place improved alot - especially by making an effort to lower the population, bringing it down from something like 1,000 people to under 400... Still, wouldn't want to end up behind bars there.

YimSiam

this is bad news indeed, but I guess this is not the first time a visa run bus tour has been busted is it?

I have made several visa runs, but always with the public bus & usually enroute there's 1 or more checkpoints where passports/ID are checked.

Often they don't even bother to check farangs, so I never had a problem there the few times I've overstayed a day or 2 ;)

But I suppose its a wakeup call to what could happen in worst case & yeah its pretty much following due process...

2 things to ensure you stay out of trouble in LOS:

1. don't mess with drugs!

2. don't mess with visas!

Thanks MaiSabai, I've got a number of options, one is using my UK passport to re-enter. Ofcourse there is always the "get a proper fucking visa" option but I'm mentally lazy to the point that I never do anything until forced into it. You think the Thai national motto of "mai pen lai" sucks, we Australians have "she'll be right mate".

ahh another lucky bastard multiple passports holder :-)

anyways what really cracks me up about this is how on one hand coming upto the immigration officer with x days overstay all is fine just pay the fine whatever. BUT if being caught in the middle i.e. on a visa run bus near the border than one is treated like the worst criminal in sight :banghead:

Archived