12 visa runners still in jail

BuffHello

gummigut said:

Feel sorry for these guys.

If it didn't get all this attention, there probably was a good chance they wouldn't get sent to the Bangkok Deportation Center.

Now the Thais can't do anything but proper procedure.

<<burp>>

The Thai cops just can't win. Let them off with a bribe and they're corrupt. Enforce the law and they're 'fascists'. Just apologize and let them go and they're weak. ::

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enforcement is fine if consistent and regular. But the crux of the issue is if one overstays one night or more, is it not standard protocol that one can just pay the going rate.

If the overstay regualtion say, everyone will be deported once they overstay AND the Thai police carries this out, fine...

But in reality, people i know who have overstayed just pay theper day charge...

Also, what is this one thousand baht collection for? Would not each person be different based on their overstay (one day vs six days, etc)? It sounds like a touch of corruption as well whether they are released or not at that point......

CB

cardinalblue said:

Enforcement is fine if consistent and regular. But the crux of the issue is if one overstays one night or more, is it not standard protocol that one can just pay the going rate.

If the overstay regualtion say, everyone will be deported once they overstay AND the Thai police carries this out, fine...

But in reality, people i know who have overstayed just pay theper day charge...

Also, what is this one thousand baht collection for? Would not each person be different based on their overstay (one day vs six days, etc)? It sounds like a touch of corruption as well whether they are released or not at that point......

CB

I've overstayed myself several times and never had a problem paying the fine. I was talking about this particular case. The wheels have been set in motion. Who knows why? Maybe the bus company didn't pay tea-money? Now the police don't have a face-saving way out.

I think, Visa running with a tour-company is in any case not a good idea.

I think, under the Thai law, Visa running is not allowed. After a visa is out, we must fly back to our countries (under the law).

Same as here. If my GF is in Switzerland, it would not be allowed to her, to jump over the Rhein river to Germany for a new Visa. Same in Thailand. Thailand accept that, but it is illegal, i think.

Be aware of that day, when Visa running is not acceptet anymore.

This is one of my most concerns for the future.

Unlike overstay, as far as I know there is nothing illegal about visa running. In the case of 30 day runners they are using entry stamps for a purpose it is not intended for (relocation instead of the occasional vacation). If it was not legal, customs would not give them another stamp in passports brimming with them.

At times there has been talk of limiting the number of one month tourists visas an individual can receive during a certain period of time, say no more than three within six months. But this has never come about and probably is not likely to. If it ever does, a lot of backpacker "teachers" will be up shite creek!

Says Al Gore about the US:

"The thoughtless way in which visas are now handled, that is a mistake," Gore said during the Jiddah Economic Forum. "The worst thing we can possibly do is to cut off the channels of friendship and mutual understanding between Saudi Arabia and the United States."

Gore told the largely Saudi audience, many of them educated at U.S. universities, that Arabs in the United States had been "indiscriminately rounded up, often on minor charges of overstaying a visa or not having a green card in proper order, and held in conditions that were just unforgivable."

"Unfortunately there have been terrible abuses and it's wrong," Gore said. "I do want you to know that it does not represent the desires or wishes or feelings of the majority of the citizens of my country."

the tourist arrival figures would probably drop dramatically if they limit the number of entry stamps over a certain period.

each such "backpacker teacher" and other who leave her on 30 days intervals counts per year for 12 tourists!!!

there are thousands who do that and this would certainly affect their tourist statistics!

• 9 months later...
Gore told the largely Saudi audience, many of them educated at U.S. universities, that Arabs in the United States had been "indiscriminately rounded up, often on minor charges of overstaying a visa or not having a green card in proper order, and held in conditions that were just unforgivable."

Except if you are member of the bin laden family.

Archived