Loss of face or an overreaction?

Ranger

First of all, I know you are all wondering WTF Ranger is doing posting in the Relationships section! I'll bet you guys didn't think I knew there was anything but a Nightlife and Trip Report section on the board. Well, I actually do have a serious girlfriend and basically lead a double life. I am a fairly good boy in BKK now, but take frequent trips to misbehave.

Anyway, the GF and I were shooting pool at our usual hangout, and I spotted one of my buddie's old girlfriends that he had been looking for. He just got back into town after a year away and didn't have this girl's number or know where she worked anymore. He had spent 3 weeks with her on his previous visit and we had been out together as couples several times. Also, we have probably ran into this girl at least 10 times together on the street or at the pool hall in the past year and always stopped and said hello to her.

I went over to talk to this girl (who was shooting pool at the table right next to us) and told her my friend was in town and wanted to see her. She was very happy to hear this and said she wanted to see him for sure. I got her phone number so he could call her and went back to my girlfriend (we were with another couple as well). If it matters, this girl is quite the hottie and was dressed to kill this night.

The girlfriend was absolutely furious with me for talking to this girl. In hindsight, I suppose I should have brought the GF over with me to talk to this girl together, but I didn't think anything of it as she knew that this was my friend's GF and not some bargirl that I was flirting with or something. She threw a big stink at the pool hall and the couple that was with us quickly bailed as it was getting ugly. We played one game of pool and on her first shot, she slammed the 8 ball in the pocket, purposely losing the game.

I was quite upset, and quickly paid the bill and took her home. We ran into my buddy on the walk to the skytrain and I gave him the phone number and he was thrilled that I had found his girl for him. I explained the trouble it had gotten me into and he took her aside and explained how much this girl meant to him and how he had asked me to keep an eye out for her. This didn't seem to help much, but I appreciated him trying.

When we got home, the fireworks started. She claimed that I made her "lose her face" in front of everyone at the pool hall by talking to another girl (she is friend's with all the staff and we are there on a regular basis). I have never taken another girl there or really even flirted with other girls when I am with her there either. I threw it back at her by saying "You make me lose face too in front of my friend by acting like such a bitch". I couldn't understand what the big deal was and still don't. The fight went on for hours and it finally came out that she has never liked this girl as she thinks "lady no good" and "lady want to fuck you". I said for the 20th or so time "Honey, it's my friend's GF and you know that!". We finally sort of made up and went to sleep, and things were better the next day.

So, do I need to learn more about Thai culture and this "loss of face" thing, or was it just a jealous overreaction by my girlfriend?

I am off to Pattaya to misbehave tomorrow!) Maybe that is the real problem?

Ranger

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ranger:

wouldn't the bigger question be what will happen when she finds out about ur pattaya activities?

I know the girls seems to think they "loose face" over what we would consider the dumbest things. and the more we try to explain or apologize, the worse it gets.

I have found most times a "don't give a shit" attitude is best. ( or just plain silence,, which is tough with a tg ranting and raving,, but afterall, it takes 2 to argue (( most of the time anway))

I hope for your sake it all blows over quickly

( but saying that, she probably will save the memory/incident for later and bring it up when you least expect it)

quote:

Originally posted by pasathai:

Ranger:

wouldn't the bigger question be what will happen when she finds out about ur pattaya activities?

Pasatahi,

Well, she knows all about my Pattaya/Cambodia/Indonesia/Philippine activiies (like I said, maybe that IS the problem). I try to be a good boy in BKK and spend a lot of time with her.

"I think your G/F wuv u 2 mut"

BadBing,

She mentioned this is the arguement also, saying that if she didn't love me, then she wouldn't have cared.

Ranger

"I think your G/F wuv u 2 mut"

All I can think of is say "how much"

maybe she will quote you an amount in bht.

( sorry, just had to say it)

as for here reaction to the orig problem, I think loss of face ( for her) is more of here preception of loss of face than actual loss of face. if she did not interact with the other girl right at that time,( or her friends did not "give here the business" about it) here reaction was here loosing face to herself.

but that said, I bet some $$ would take care of it.

Probably the loss of face thing was what got her started off. But the knowledge of your other activities probably kicked in and she lost it. I would guess that she's more upset about your extracuricular activies than she's letting on.

When gals get overly upset by something it is often really about something else. Guys just dont get it, they take a womans behavior too much at face value, all prior evidence being to the contrary. Your GF doesn't like your extracuricular activities but will likely accept it as long as it's not thrown in her face, so any behavior on your part that seems to be done in front of her and her friends is going to make her feel very threatened. As long as she is accepting of your trips, I would completely avoid other women in front of her when you're home. I think she deserves that.

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: kohMarco ]

kohMarco:

"Don't take a womans behavior too much at face value"

good thing to remember, I am considering getting it tattoed on my forearm so I don't forget.

Seems women ( not just tg) have an exellent memory for all the stuff we wish they would forget, and use it all at once, even if we are not aware of it.

(read urself the maranda rights b4 u go out with a girl) smile.gif" border="0

Just by being male ( and farang) we start out suspect.

quote:

Originally posted by kohMarco:

I would guess that she's more upset about your extracuricular activies than she's letting on.

As long as she is accepting of your trips, I would completely avoid other women in front of her when you're home. I think she deserves that.

kohMarco,

I think you nailed the problem. I'll try to be better at ignoring other women when I am with her (that's not going to be easy for me). But, you are right, she deserves that for sure. She tolerates my trips, but I know she sure isn't happy about them.

"All I can think of is say "how much"

maybe she will quote you an amount in bht.

(sorry, just had to say it) but that said, I bet some $$ would take care of it."

Pasathai,

Don't blame you for saying it, but that's never been an issue in the 1 1/2 years we've been together. If she was with for me the $, she knew a long time ago that she picked the wrong guy! And believe me, she wouldn't have any trouble replacing me if that's what she wanted.

Thnaks for the input guys, I'll try to think more about her feelings when we are out together in BKK. But, I'm not giving up my trips! Off to Pattaya in 2 hours, we'll see if my apartment and all my things are destroyed when I get back-LOL (I think).

Ranger

quote:

Originally posted by itsmedave:

Speaking of losing face...

Has anybody seen a picture of Johnny Cash lately...he looks like a Muppet!

Come on now.... He always looked like a muppet. it's nothing new.

Archived