Songkran and Falangs

bust

After careful planning I have reorganized my entire life to allow me to spend most of April in LOS.:: Having missed Songkran last year I am curious about one thing. How do the Thais re-act to falangs joining in the celebrations? I have heard so far some mixed replies from "Songkran for everyone to enjoy"..........to.........."many snakehead only like see girl wet t-shirt fat falang no good" Any thoughts?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure. I have asked a few Thais the same question and have always been told they like to see ferangs involved. Then again, knowing Thais, they would hardly tel me they hate to see it would they?

IMO it depends on location. Up country with few ferangs in a traditional songkran environment with the temple visits, food and 'gentle soakings', im sure they encourage it... after all, why wouldnt they, in the spirit of things?

In tourist beach areas such as Samui, Phuket etc, i get the impresion some of them get pissed off with the ferangs walking around with bazooka guns and buckets of ice cold water, not having any clue what the celebration represents. I have to be honest, i'm partialy guilty of the later.... i have been known to get carried away with my pals and i'm sure the Thais look at me and my fellow drunks with a frown. Guilty, on my part! I do know that it's something to do with cleansing yourself for the new year, hence the water?

So all in al, IMO, depends on location and ferocity

Last year we put a "water station" on the road in front of our house to soak the pick-ups heading for the beach.

I got lots of "thumbs up" from soaked drunken thais waiting for their pick-ups to move. Some of them jumped out their pick ups to return the favor and make me drunk.

they love it! However, I find that some Falang don't know the origin of the water spalshing and get WAY TOO agressive. It is done with fun in mind as most elder Thais see it as a way too far off base change of the youth washing the elders gone to water fights......I have been in Bangkok and followed the procession to Pattaya on the slow road. All to agressive.

As with 90% of other things I prefer Phuket. Soi Bangla is aggressive and some of the road stuff if also but generally, as always, more mellow. this year will be different! Off to Surin to do it with the Darling and the family. I guess we'll be the power of the Soi in her village as I put in the biggest home use pump Home Pro sold that drives 2 showers, a flangs Hong Nam, indoor kitchen sink, and a full ensuite bathroom in our big detached room. Mama says (not problem I'm 13 older that her) we'll have a 50gal drum and 3 hoses....

I think "aggressive" is a perfect word to describe how a lot of farangs celebrate Songkran. It becomes an outlet for rage. While there are different issues, my big one is when their idea of fun is to laugh their asses off at the distress caused by dousing unsuspecting people in ice water. I wish one of these years the police would stop worrying about girls in spagetti tops and crack down on the ice BS. I personally can't enjoy Songkran because I never know what water coming at me is plain and what is iced down. It's supposed to be a fun event for everyone, but some people make it into an event they enjoy by making others around them miserable.

Archived