Crime and Lonely Planet

bust

Yeah, I know (have many of their books as am sometimes of that crowd) , but especially in LOS it seems negligent to at least not give a few warnings. After they make a point of saying Patpong should be on any itinerary, they don't explain how it works or how to avoid ripoffs (other than 'free' sex shows having hidden charges and big bouncers).

I'm not suggesting they write anything like "go to bar X, best BJ's in town!" A few simple pointers like those found on an FAQ board here would be fine: Avoid the touts, don't fall in love, the going rate for X is this, explain a barfine. Hell, a t the least beer prices would be reasonable. They give prices and descriptions for other bars and nightclubs in town. They just "forget" to mention any in the seedy red-light district after they recommend people go there.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DesertDevil said:

After they make a point of saying Patpong should be on any itinerary, they don't explain how it works or how to avoid ripoffs (other than 'free' sex shows having hidden charges and big bouncers).

You aren't supposed to actually go in those places! You might catch something. It's OK to walk around outside though. Maybe even peek through the door. You can pretend to be buying something from a vendor. :)

On violent crime in general, I'd say the book also painted a picture much closer to your happy, Buddhist Utopia than is realistic. The only dangers it really warns about are tuk-tuk and gem scams. Things that suck but wouldn't see you over a balcony. I've only been to LOS once, but the downplay from LP and the happy, smiling faces had me feeling at ease. As long as I ignored the touts, I felt safe from financial ruin (took the Patpong excursion to have an unexpected loss of cash), and I never felt in danger of violent crime. I wouldn't have considered the more violent side if not for this board. As you said, easy to fall into a false sense of security.

Archived