Crime and Lonely Planet

bust

There was a couple of posts made recently about the increase in crime against tourist around certain areas and the fact that some of the travel books seemed to neglect to mention the risks. I live next door to the guy who is Lonely Planet's head IT troubleshooter and mentioned it to him. Last time in Melbourne he made an enquiry to management about the discussion we had. He explained my frequenting of the area and that I was in a position to make a fairly well informed comment about the issues of violent crimes against tourists and the fact they did not put any warnings of such in their publications.

He tells me that they were quite alarmed that something so serious is not reported in their books to the level it probably should. They now are encouraging anyone who would like to provide details of incidents that impact on tourists to forward them on to them. They apparently have a page http://www.lonelyplanet.com/feedback/ Could be an opportunity to make others aware of the dangers.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a Mickey Mouse publication who's writers obviously don't even visit the places they're writing about. I once read in the Taiwan book that you might feel "out of place" in jeans and T-shirt in Kaosiung, so I wore shirt and trousers but everyone else was in um... jeans and T-shirt! :doah:

Guest lazyphil

I thought Joe Cummings credentials are rather good ::.....very usefull book that helped me in Thailand more than once, or are you just speaking of the 'Thorn Tree', which is shite!

Archived