Asking for $$$$$

zanemay

Just thought I would treat the recurring theme as its own topic...

I love and respect Thai ladies and not all of them have tried to hit me up for money. I do give a little, but never too much and I don't send money when I am out of the country. So far I have had great luck with relationships.

But here are two classic experiences:

1) I was in the far-flung province of Nan, which is snuggled against Laos. I went to a museum one day and was surrounded by a group of school kids. Their teacher was about 30 years old and we chatted for five minutes and I gave her my card and email address. She wrote me and we exchanged a monthly email. No one hinted at a relationship. After about 8 casual emails, she asked me to loan her 1,000,000 baht! She wanted to study in America.

2) I had a three day relationship with a kind of a freelancer / bar girl in Phuket. We never talked about money but I gave her 1,000 baht for each long time. (I only do long, long time.) We got along great and I set her up with email, which she had never seen let alone used before. After a few weeks back in the USA I sent her one email and didn't hear anything for about four weeks. She doesn't check email because no one emails her. But then came her first and only email saying she could not pay her rent (I know her finances and absolutely believe her). The email was well articulated with complete bank account information, her complete Thai name and everything. I declined to send money.

That email started me thinking/made me realize that the internet shop interpreters must put girls up to the requests and then take a percentage when the funds arrive. "I know how to work farangs," they must say. "Give me information A,B, C and D and let me see what I can do for you." This girl would have never figured this out on her own.

Zane May

I agree, I have had several girls and you can tell from just about which Internet Cafe they went to by reading the E-Mail. I mean some girls can hardly read and write or even speak English, but when it comes time to ask for money, the E-Mail is perfect. I always loved the one it was raining and the roof of my fathers house fell on his head and I need money to take him to hospital!!! shocked.gif" border="0

THanks for sharing sayjann.

Probably from the net cafe lady. (to earn some of the BG's money?). Probably watching friends or other "competitors" doing so.

Idiom: Keeping up with the Joneses.

Zane - just small suggestion:

If she wants to study in America, a good suggestion is to suggest "study in Bangkok" international school or even international school/university in Chiangmai. (i think).

If she really need to go a Western country, opt for the nearest which is Australia or NZ. It's cheaper obviously if she is concern about expenditure.

Or last option, studying in a foreign country which has international university all across Asia. Cheaper, closer to home.

tongue.gif" border="0

sayann,

I don't mean to say all the girls do this. My "real" gf (ha!) sends email that is about 50% what she writes. Then the rest is internet shop boiler plate. I save it and go over it with her for laughs. She has a good laugh too over some things she "wrote." Especially some of the really gooey love stuff. She's not that expressive.

Singbond,

The lady's suggestion that I loan her 1,000,000 baht was so ridiculous and rude (from my point of view, not from a Thai perspective perhaps) that I did not respond. I don't think she really cares to go study somewhere if she actually has to pay for it. But to be so presumptious as to ask for that amount was really offensive to me. I have not written her since.

Zane

Funny idea, but I think you're being a little paranoid about internet shops! The only assistance I've seen/heard shops giving is technical or translation assistance. (places that do translation service are very common, BTW) If someone put her up to it, it was more likely a friend/coworker/family member who'd done it before or had heard about such things.

Interesting business idea though. Maybe I should put an add in some add in local papers and see what kind of response I get.

"Increase your income! Experienced American will help you extract up to 50,000Baht per month from your farang boyfriend. If you don't get paid, I don't get paid."

i have to disagree a little.

while i imagine some internet cafes do a good trade in this sort of thing,i think you are doing some of the girls a disservice.

my girl does not speak good english and cannot read or write at all in english,but when i get mails from her they are natural,talking about local/family things and written as we would write.

she goes to a translation service to send her mails and has to pay 100-160 baht per mail.

i know,when i've been in her room she has shown me the translations with the prices placed on the top.

the only time i might be wrong is when she sent me details of her bank account when she asked me for money.

was it her idea or the cafes?,we will never know.

I have no problem paying a girl for an over-nite transaction. It's a business deal. But,

it sure gets more complex when you become friends especially with BGs. If you are nice to them one time or multiple times, they don't have the mind-set to stop asking for money. I guess that is what the mentality like is when you are extremely poor and you don't know when/where your next baht is coming.

I believe it is virtually impossible to have an equal platonic friendship (no sex) with a BG without her asking for monies in some shape or form. Unless she has a sugar daddy in tow...Friendships with BGs just don't work because of the enormous financial needs every day they are facing. What is sacrificed is any type of friendship as security needs take center stage.......

Cardinalblue

All--

Most of the internet shops will help a TG with an english email. I've seen it many times before. Do I think that it's a "set-up" so that the shop gets a percentage of the take? Most likely not.

In fact, on more than one occasion I've been in an internet shop and been asked by a TG to help with her translation (it was rough and needed some help) of her email...

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

PS: Yes, one of the emails was a "help I need money" email, but all the others were just regular "Hi, how are you" types..

Archived