ACL ligament treatment

racer55

I think this is my first non sanuk post :o.

So I have gone and torn my ACL, MCL and meniscus ligaments in the knee. My plans of riding motorcycles offroad through Thailand have been dashed for now :(.

The surgery will be done in the states, then recuperating, training, and physical therapy in Thailand. My concern is finding qualified Doctors to monitor the progress of the knee as it rehabilitates, and quality Physical Therapy in LOS.

I am located in Chiang Mai...can anybody suggest where to look for decent docs/PT people of a decent caliber? Or any other suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Wow...ACL, MCL and a meniscus tear...you did a good job of hosing your knee!

As you'll be in CM, I'll second the earlier suggestion of going to BKK and Bumrungard Hospital, as I'm not aware of the quality of the hospitals in CM. However, in BKK, there is also the Somdej Prapinklao Hospital which specializes in orthopedic surgeons and I believe does rehab.

Three years ago, I had a arthoscopic surgery on a torn medial meniscus performed in the Queen Sirikit Thai Navy hopsital, in Sattahip. They brought in a doc from the Sondej hospital to do the surgery. A Thai MD, with a diplomate in Sports Med from Johns Hopkins Hospital in the States. Awesome credentials. Sirikit hospital has a state of the art arthroscopic operations room...and they charge Thai prices for everyone, including farangs. Surgery and all incidentals, including a private room for a night was merely 14,500-Bt (about $350-US!!). As I do rehab work, I did my own rehabbing...took a while (most people quit doing the needed rehab too soon)...and all is fine!

Now, Bumrungard and Sondej hospitals would cost considerably more..as they charge farang prices, but still much less than the States

If you'd be paying out of pocket for the surgery in the States, I'd suggest having it done in Thailand. Some excellent docs and far more reasonable costs!

For rehab, get the ortho doc and PT to provide you with a long-term progressive program, _if_ you are the type that _will_ follow such a program. You should be able to follow such a program, with the aid of a gym and outside exercise for flexibility and strengthening on your own. Most quit rehab too soon, as they 'feel' better, yet not sufficient healing has occurred to assure an excellent long-term prognosis. Don't use the 1-2 months of rehab, as a bench mark, which professional jocks may experience. Remember they are paid million$ to play....so it benefits the owners to return then to the field before thay are absolutely 100%.

good luck...

Rookie,

Thank you for the informative post. Yep the knee is buggered so my summer off road motorbike tour around Thailand has a fly in the ointment as of now.

I'm thinking intense rehab at the blow job bars would help me through. Sadly not a plethora of them in Chiang Mai.

I'll have the surgery in the states since I'm here and it's covered but you've hit the nail on the head, I want some good PT to get me back 100% for ski season. I'll commit to the routines and I have a feeling the push bike will be my new mistress instead of some gal in a short skirt ::. I'm betting 9 months of hard work ahead to get the knee back. Have you heard anything about high end knee braces available in Thailand? The custom ones in the states are $1000 and the HMO does not cover those.

Is the Queen Sirikit Thai Navy hopsital open to non military Farangs or is that for enlisted men only? Maybe a trip to Sattahip/Pattaya every two weeks for "therapy" would be just what is needed to get me on my feet (or on my back ::) again. $350 for a reconstructed knee, done by a John Hopkins Graduate wow!!! My right knee cost $30k just for a plate and some screws when I broke it last.

Thanks again for sharing your tale.

I second rookie's recommendation of Queen Sirikit Hospital in Sattahip. It's only about a 25 minute ride down Sukhumvit from Pattaya center. I've been seeing a cardiologist there whom I know from Bangkok - Pattaya Hospital. Sirikit is a very decent facility, unlike many Thai government hositals ... clean and usually not too crowded. It's very affordable and farang friendly. For me, services cost a fraction of what I'd have to pay for the same from the same doctor at BKK - Pattaya.

If you do make it down that way, do some exploring of the area. It's very picturesque with hills and rolling countryside. I found a beautiful beach that had no vendors ... probably because it's run by the Army. Chairs are rented optionally or you can relax on your own matt or towel in the shade. There are food stalls (and toilets) across the road from the beach. A 3-person sea kayak can be rented for 80 Bt/hr. And, there are NO jet skis or motor boats! Serenity!

racer55 said:

..<snipped>..I'm thinking intense rehab at the blow job bars would help me through. Sadly not a plethora of them in Chiang Mai.

***Likely good for morale for the big and little head, but unless there is some yet undiscovered connection, I dunno if they will accelerate healing of the knee ;-)

... Have you heard anything about high end knee braces available in Thailand? The custom ones in the states are $1000 and the HMO does not cover those.

***Would imagine they are available...but only at one of the upscale hospitals...maybe also Sirikit. Surely cheaper here!

Is the Queen Sirikit Thai Navy hopsital open to non military Farangs or is that for enlisted men only?

***ANYONE can go there...whether Thai civilian or military, farang local on tourist. Everyone charged the same Thai prices. Takes but 5-minutes to register and get an ID card which can be used for any future visits. Sirikit is 40-km from Pattaya; a 20-Bt, 45-minute A/C bus ride...

Thanks again for sharing your tale.

New Petchburi Pete said:

... I found a beautiful beach that had no vendors ... probably because it's run by the Army. Chairs are rented optionally or you can relax on your own matt or towel in the shade. There are food stalls (and toilets) across the road from the beach. A 3-person sea kayak can be rented for 80 Bt/hr. And, there are NO jet skis or motor boats! Serenity!

Hmmm...I've not explored the Sattahip area...how would I find that beach??? thx.

New Petchburi Pete said:

... I found a beautiful beach that had no vendors ... probably because it's run by the Army. Chairs are rented optionally or you can relax on your own matt or towel in the shade. There are food stalls (and toilets) across the road from the beach. A 3-person sea kayak can be rented for 80 Bt/hr. And, there are NO jet skis or motor boats! Serenity!

Hmmm...I've not explored the Sattahip area...how would I find that beach??? thx.

New Petchburi Pete said:

Archived