Thai girl letter- Need help to respond

One of my Thai teachers runs a translation service on the side. I've helped her translate a few letters from thai girls into English as well as a 'Rules for taking out Hostesses' sign for a Karaoke bar. It's really fun!

(Hmm... maybe I should start my own business... I could work on 'trade' basis wink.gif" border="0 )

quote:

Originally posted by Zane May:

NYC Dude wrote:

Do these girls have a CD where they get these letters?

Have you noticed the places that advertise Internet and Translation services? They are usually run by Thai people who grind out generic letters and responses for our girlfriends. In bad English. I received one that said, "I miss you so much when you are not in Thailand." I was in Pattaya, just parted from my BKK gf for about a week. She knew quite well where I was, but she had nothing to do with writing to me. I wrote, "Hello sweetheart. Your email does not sound like you at all, but I love you and miss you too." When I later saw her in BKK she had no idea what she had "written" to me. And the service is not cheap - about 100 baht to her.

Zane

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took some of your advice and replied to her that it was obvious that someone else wrote the letter and that when I return to Thailand I will call her. Nothing to lovey!

Here is the response:

How are you doing over there? Here in Thailand I am getting on all right.

Thank you so much for replying my letter. Your reply is sweeter than what I

wrote to you. Did you write it by yourself or someone added sweet words in

it for you?

About the letter I wrote to you, the translator did not add anything by

herself, it was really what I wrote.

Now I am in Thailand and I feel so lonely. I don't go out like before. I

only stay in the room and watch television. When I feel lonely I like to

write to you. I hope you don't mind me.

When will you come to see me in Thailand? I miss you so much and would

like you to come soon.

All right, this seems to be all for now. I wish you to be happy always.

Please reply me, I am waiting to hear from you.

Always love and miss you,

I think I'm going to send the letter about it being rainy , having no business and requesting a airline ticket.

I still think they have a CD filled with letters LOL

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand why people get so worked up about the girls using pro forma letters.

What do you expect when you give your e-mail address to someone who you know doesn't speak good English?

Of course it doesn't mean that she loves you, but it doesn't mean that she's a gold-digger either. She's probably exactly what she was when you first met her: a nice girl, not too bright, trying to make a living. She may even like you.

Great thread here.

Especially like some of the "messages" from farang to BG back in LOS.

Last month in internet place around Clinton, I was assigned to computer which most recent user had neglected to logoff of. Her AOL inbox had messages from couple dozen farangs and nosey asshole that I am, I proceeded to read them all. At least half mentioned sending money via friend, through bank, in mail, as soon as they got paid, etc. One mentioned a plane ticket would be waiting at BKK airport so she could come for their wedding!! Wish I had gotten a look at the honey able to pull kind of scam on so many different guys!!

I'm staying in touch with two that I met while there. So far no requests for money, but I have to admit their messages fit the general format described in most of this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Received a letter today from a little cutie I met a few weeks ago in Pattaya. It included the following:

"Darling! I really love you and admire you heart and soul. Though you can stay with me only a little. It seems as if you're at my side at all time. I still remember when I was in you arms I felt warmth as you took me to the top of happiness"

I bet nobody has had that in any of their letters wink.gif" border="0 This is definitely original - she is the first lady I have ever taken to the "top of happpiness".

smile.gif" border="0Fatbastard33 smile.gif" border="0

One of my friends was in an internet cafe in Patong when he was approached by an attractive young lady. She asked him to help her compose a letter to her farang boyfriend who was so special to her. My friend was happy to oblige, and that lucky guy was the recipient of a heartfelt, sweet letter from his special lady.

Oh, and the other 10 email addresses she had in her purse also got that same letter.

quote:

Originally posted by fatbastard33:

Received a letter today from a little cutie I met a few weeks ago in Pattaya. It included the following:

"Darling! I really love you and admire you heart and soul. Though you can stay with me only a little. It seems as if you're at my side at all time. I still remember when I was in you arms I felt warmth as you took me to the top of happiness"

I bet nobody has had that in any of their letters
wink.gif" border="0
This is definitely original - she is the first lady I have ever taken to the "top of happpiness".

smile.gif" border="0
Fatbastard33
smile.gif" border="0

Fatbastard,

Just saw your post. The love letter you received appears to have been copied from a book that is available in Thailand called ‘Handbook of English Love Letters’ by Lam Duan Jaht Jai Dee. In 1996 it was already in its 7th edition. It contains many examples of love letters written in Thai and translated to English and is designed as an aid for Thais in writing love letters to farangs. The particular letter you quote appears to be number 19 from P.74 and contains other gems e.g. ‘some nights I stay awake very late and when I am awake I can hear you calling me…the distance may be long but you are always near and dear to me”

Anyhow, copied or not, I am sure the sentiments expressed in the letter were heartfelt and genuine. :-)

Hi,

These loveletters reminds of the old joke about the presumtive writer sending his book to the famous writer. The answer was – The book is both original and good. But those parts, which are original are not good and those, which are good are not original.

What can you expect from a BG not speaking much English? She must use help for composing and writing!

elef crazy.gif" border="0

Archived