Thai girl letter- Need help to respond

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

"Fatbastard,

Just saw your post. The love letter you received appears to have been copied from a book that is available in Thailand called ‘Handbook of English Love Letters’ by Lam Duan Jaht Jai Dee. In 1996 it was already in its 7th edition. It contains many examples of love letters written in Thai and translated to English and is designed as an aid for Thais in writing love letters to farangs. The particular letter you quote appears to be number 19 from P.74 and contains other gems e.g. ‘some nights I stay awake very late and when I am awake I can hear you calling me…the distance may be long but you are always near and dear to me”

Anyhow, copied or not, I am sure the sentiments expressed in the letter were heartfelt and genuine. :-)"

Boo,

I think you're pulling my plonker here mate!

Fatbastard33

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Do these girls have a CD where they get these letters.

Close.

In Asia Books (or DK Books in PTY) in a section with "Learn English" books there is a book called Handbook of English Love Letters. Pink colored paperback with a picture of a Cupid on front cover. Priced to sell at 110 Baht.

The smart ones who can read/write little English will have no trouble copying entire paragraphs and creating reasonable letters. Certainly no worse than some of the stuff penned by professional bar-girl letter translators. Much cheaper, too.

In fact, I occasionally use the book myself - the reverse engineering is easy - and it always earns me a few compliments.

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: Mad Max ]

quote:

Originally posted by luckyfarang:

Boo-

Do you have a copy of the Love Letter Handbook? Do you know which bookstore might carry it, and would it be in the Thai or English section?

Lucky,

Mad Max seems to have already answered your question. I got mine in Thailand. Its in the Thai section of a book store (for Thais wanting to learn English). Haven't seen it outside LOS.

To make proper use of it, I think you would need to be able to read Thai script. Hope that helps.

Boo

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: Boo Radley ]

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

"Mad Max appears to have a copy. Maybe he would care to comment... :-)"

Boo,

Many apologies for doubting you. I knew there was a novel about a Farang living in Bangkok who writes letters for bar girls but I never realised a book about Love Letters existed

Oncd again many apologies.

Fatbastard33

I'm amazed that this conversation keeps coming up so often both here and elsewhere. Most of the time, these are girls you have screwed a couple times after paying for the privilege, and you expect heartfelt love letters the next week?? These girls hear the same bullshit from farangs every week. Oh, I love you, I'll never forget you, I'll be back to see you soon, I want you to come away with me....blah blah blah. The ones who are new to the business actually believe this the first few times, then get hardened to it. Guys get the best piece of ass they've had in years from girls who wouldn't look at them at home and mistake this for real emotion. The emails are part of the game - keeping customers coming back into the store. Can you blame them??

The people writing the letters for them feel no particular reason to get overly creative....it's easier to cut and paste from a letter they have already created. I think it would be fun to be 'dating' two girls who use the same internet cafe....you could get the same letter from two different girls on the same day!

Originally posted by nycdude1:

"Of course (I hope) we understand these letters are not true but why not play the game and have some fun responding."

I couldn't agree more. We are involved in a game. With the bargirls the aim is to liberate you of as much money as they can, as quickly as they can. With ourselves it is to have fun with the little cuties without breaking the bank.

However, always remember it is a game which we are involved in.

Fatbastard33

I have seen 'translators' who speak/write English in some of the internet cafes writing the romantric e-mails for the gals ... quite entertaining to observe. The letters seem to follow a somewhat standardized format ... inevitably asking the love-struck farang to send some money (you know, for the mother's impending surgery or to perform an exorcism on the sick buffalo)!!!

Archived