Rapid technological change in LOS

Falang

Just came back from LOS, almost 2 years since my last one.

One thing that hit me the most is the proliferation of ATM, now they are everywhere and I mean everywhere.

Two years ago on my trip to the village I tried to go change traveller checks in Tatum, they had only a government bank who refuse to change them and also refuse to take credit card. I had to go to Surin a 45 minutes trip to get money.

Now two years later they have ATM in Tatum and since it is not a big town you would think that they have only one but no, now there is 6 ATM in this little town and they work very find with international ATM cards.

What a change that 2 years can make.

Technology huuu?

I live 7km from downtown Udon. When I went to order a tel line at the local TOT office it was overloaded with ADSL publicity, until you tel them that's what you want. A big smile and "no have" is the answer. When will it be available???? No answer, next centurry maybe :banghead:

And at the gf's village, 40km east on the road towards Sakhon Nakhon there is no ATM. The nearest is at Nong Hang, 8km towards Udon and only one in that Amphur.

"No answer, next centurry maybe "

I had the same experience. We walked into the TOT office and I was surprised that there were very few people in there. It turns out that nobody is ordering telephone lines because there isn't any central office equipment to support new lines. That's because there is no budget for the equipment. And right now, there is no legeslative body to create the budget.

The sattelite internet system is scheduled to be installed on the 26th, the day after we move in.

If I use my USA Citibank card at any ATM in Thailand, Citibank charges me a 1% "foreign transaction" fee ::

If I use my UOB (a local Thai bank) ATM card at a non-UOB ATM, I get charged 3 Baht.

I try to use travellers' checks (T/Cs) to avoid the fees, but there are also fees associated with using the T/Cs. Fees vary as to where you cash them. I usually go to a UOB facility to cash them.

Last time I was in the USA, the banks there were pushing like a prepaid T/C card. I opted for the paper T/Cs, as I am not sure if I will have hassles with the prepaid card here in BKK. Also, the bank charges you for the card ($20?) then the fees for the T/Cs.

Hey....I am starting to get an idea that the banks are making all the money!!! ::

Yes alot more internet banking an ATM and ADM machines.

MTR is a good improvement,

Affordable ADSL is new

More satillite providers are popping up

The '97 skeleton buildings are being finished

Better shopping with many malls getting redone ( WTC, Paragon etc). Many many more produces available. There is nothing that I am missing from CND now.

New airport opening up

My parents did not even recognize Bangkok when they came this time.. Big improvemtns

Archived