WAR FILMS

sayjann

saw one of those Programmes which listed the 100 best War Films ever made..........don't know who votes for these things.

the top 5 Films were........

5-Full Metal Jacket.

4-Schlinders List.

3-The Great Escape.

2-Apocalypse Now.

1-Saving Private Ryan.

i didn't agree with the 1st choice.

everyone remembers the 1st 20 Minutes but People seem to forget the rest of the Story after that,i personally can't remember much about it.........but then again any Tom Hanks Film turns me off straight away.

before the programme started i thought that Apocalypse Now would win and that would have got my vote.

at times a difficult Fil to watch but great Soundtrack..........

good to see The Great Escape in there.

a Film showed most Bank Holidays here in the UK but still a joy to watch.

interesting to see that only 2 of the top 5 are based on real stories.........

disappointed to see some great Films way down the list.

M.A.S.H. was rated poorly along with Where Eagles Dare.

and how Battle Of Britain just scraped into the top 30 mysterfies me.

a Film about one of the greatest episodes in the UK's History is rated so low.

so what are your favourites?........

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That covers the Vietnam War and WWII. If you are going to mention "Schendler's List", you could list "M.A.S.H.", which also doesn't cover specifics of the Korean War. I think that there are other war films, like "Gallipoli (sp)" which was a very good war film but didn't involve any Americans fighting. The Bridge over the River Kwai and Paths of Glory are two films from the 50's that have stood the test of time.

Depends what you're looking for in a war movie I guess. 'Saving Private Ryan' had great action sequences, 'Apocalypse Now' was an epic. 'Schindlers List' was about the Holocaust more than anything. Best war film for me was 'Breaker Morant' but there wasn't a lot of actual war in it.

Guest lazyphil

In no order....Glory, Apocalypse, Heros of Telemark, Where Eagles Dare, Great escape, Fist full of Dollars (ok a post war film ::)....hang on thats 6.........blackadder goes forth of course!!!1

All Quiet On The Western Front (1930) is a pretty good war flick. I will never forget the final scene when the young soldier sees a beautiful butterfly just in front of him...he's in the trenches with a rifle...all is quite...he reaches for the butterfy and a single shot rings out, then the camera zeros in on his outstretched hand, which goes limp -- nihilistic film at its finest.

But of the top 5 listed there, I agree that Saving Private Ryan is the best.

SPR is #1, LOL! I thought it was your basic german turkey shoot and that lack of realism turned me off as I watched it. Too many war films show the allies just mowing down lines of enemies, their shots are kill shots, return fire rarely hits and if it does just wounds the good guys who bravely fight on, yawn. Allies always outnumbered which they usually weren't. Allies always perservere even though many times they did not. And of course the allies have to always outfox the enemy! The only worthy one that really sticks out on that list is the great escape. My favorite war related in no particular order:

a bridge too far

the longest day

midway

platoon

crimson tide

the hunt for red october

the great escape

king rat

battle of the bulge

To go off in a totally different direction, my favorite war movie would be Gettysburg. Private Ryan, good but shouldn't be #1. Completely agree on Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now being in the top five. Dark, crazy movies are always good times.

Neo said:

SPR is #1, LOL! I thought it was your basic german turkey shoot and that lack of realism turned me off as I watched it. Too many war films show the allies just mowing down lines of enemies, their shots are kill shots, return fire rarely hits and if it does just wounds the good guys who bravely fight on, yawn. Allies always outnumbered which they usually weren't. Allies always perservere even though many times they did not. And of course the allies have to always outfox the enemy! The only worthy one that really sticks out on that list is the great escape. My favorite war related in no particular order:

a bridge too far

the longest day

midway

platoon

crimson tide

the hunt for red october

the great escape

king rat

battle of the bulge

Your list is more like it ::

Archived