WAR FILMS

sayjann

some interesting replies........thanks Guys..... :up:

many of the Films mentioned by you were included in the top 100.

but watching the Programme showed that all the Films listed were not 'exactly' war films.

many were commentaries on the issues of the time.

Schlinders List is very different to The Dambusters but still tell a story of what evolved at the time.

many of the Films did not involve War action but just commentated on the issues of War.

M.A.S.H. and Schlinders List are not War Films as such but tell a powerful story as much as a Film like SPR or Heroes Of Telemark..........

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

War or war related.

The Deerhunter

Bridge over the River Kwai

The Manchurian Candidate (original)

Casablanca

Das Boot

Tora, Tora, Tora

IMO the most realistic (for me at least) was "Blackhawk Down." Other fims on my list would be:

"Breaker Morant"

"Gettysburg"

"All quiet on the Western front"

"Saving Pvt. Ryan"

"Band of Brothers" (not sure how to list this, film or TV series?)

I have often thought a film version of "the Guns of August" would be interesting!

:elephant:

Black Hawk Down is a classic IMO.

All quiet is stunishing, absolute fave.

How about Von Ryan's Express :angel: it's similar to Saving PR, the hero dies in the end. :scared::yikes:

Seven Beauties by Lina Wertmuller is a fine movie and war related, well, if Schiundler's List is, this one is as well.

>Glory

Great film. I have also agree that SPR is a great film (except for the first and last 10 minutes whcih are too mawkish). Lots of memorable scenes in it (still can't re-watch the knife fight scene), the sniper in the tower scene, the machine gun post scene, the unbelievable beach scene...awesome....

-j-

Archived