WAR FILMS

sayjann

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

just got my dvd through on ebay of where eagles dare thanks to this thread, just watched it, brilliant, has to have the best begining of any movie, the music and drama of the plane flying thru the alps :: they dont make em like this anymore :(

preahko said:

black hawk down?!?! predictable, overdone, in-your-face hollywood bullshit. but whatever floats your boat. I guess someone has to patronize rainbow 4, haha.

preahko

Also a true story...don't see where you can go off calling it bullshit...or even predictable, it showed that unit getting slaughtered, no Rambo or John Wayne to save the day...

Lusty said:

Some very good war films mentioned by previous posters.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Memphis Belle,When were Soldiers and the Thin red line and also more recently,Jarhead.

Memphis Belle? now that was Hollywood Bullshit...little known fact, there was another plane that compleated their missions before the Memphis belle, the plane was called the Hells Angel. 303 Bombardment wing or something, volunteered to stay on pasted the 25 mission mark...went on to fly 48 successful missions before it returned home, and was dismanteled for scrap...the Crew that accompanied the Memphis Belle home and on the Bond tour actually had very few of the original crew members... (of course we need remember, some were killed in service).

We were Soldiers once, and Young, was an excellent movie! But really, most war movies leave a bad taste in my mouth...they glorify it, propagandize it, misrepresent it etc...very few ever tell the real story...

i've always enjoyed Where Eagles Dare............ :up:

20 odd Years ago i travelled on the actual cable car they used in the Film........

Mayerhofen in Austria................. :yay:

thought about getting the then Wife on the roof and putting an ice-pick through her arm.............. :grinyes:

or maybe her skull..................... :tophat:

Archived