Carry On Films

candyfloss

Speaking of Barbara Windsor, the members may like some further information on the 'Carry On' series of films.

The Carry On series of films typify the very essence of British comedy. They are, without doubt, the most enduring and endearing offspring of British cinema. From their debut in 1958 through to the present day, the mention of the words "Carry On" bring to mind images of saucy humour, larger than life characters and riotous slapstick. There are very few people in their home country, if not elsewhere, who haven't seen at least one of the 31 Carry On films, let alone the subsequent stage shows and television series.

The humour of the Carry Ons, while far from unique, is presented with such flair that when one thinks of the typical British comedy, the words "Carry On" immediately spring to mind. While remaining at all times highly suggestive, it never veered towards the obscene. The jokes and situations, while full of sexual innuendo and deliberately raised eyebrows, retain an innocence not found anywhere else. Great emphasis was placed on the double entendre and the dirty laugh, but overt sexuality and coarse language were always shunned.

No subject was sacred, with parodies ranging from Britain's infamous National Health Service (Carry On Nurse, Doctor, Again Doctor and Matron) to cinematic epics such as Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor's Anthony & Cleopatra (Carry On Cleo - such a close parody that they even reused many of the sets and costumes from the original!) through to historical drama (Carry On Henry, Dick). The list of targets seemed endless. The only recurring themes throughout the disparate (and in some cases desperate) storylines were the Carry On team, themselves.

An interesting snippet is that Kenneth Williams - him of the snooty voice and big beak who usually plays the role of a pompous schollteacher or other figure of respectability and authority - is the father of Robbie Williams the pop star.

'An interesting snippet is that Kenneth Williams - him of the snooty voice and big beak who usually plays the role of a pompous schollteacher or other figure of respectability and authority - is the father of Robbie Williams the pop star'

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

dear old Kenneth was as queer as a '9 bob note' as we say in the UK.....

he wouldn't have fathered a kid in a Million Years...........

"An interesting snippet is that Kenneth Williams - him of the snooty voice and big beak who usually plays the role of a pompous schollteacher or other figure of respectability and authority - is the father of Robbie Williams the pop star."

OK I'll bite. That is a very interesting snippet for sure. Did you snip it out of Private Dancer? Robbie's father, Pete, would be amazed. :)

khwaimaisabai said: ..... this candyfloss character seems prone to getting his facts wrong. He should consult more with teddy and munchmaster - if they are not all three the same person. Khwai

Excuse me pal, a dinna ken aboot flossie and teddy, but a can assure u that there is only one munchmaster and a dinnae have any pseudonyms.

Flashermac said:

Don't forget the "Confessions of a ..." series. I used to rent them in Bangkok and show them to my (then new) Mrs.

I always liked the St Trinian's films too. Right now I've got the theme song running through my head. ::

I'm just so relieved to see this thread on the board bar. Sports and leisure didn't cut it for me. :)

Archived