Thai Marriage Ceremony?

sidsanuk

quote:

Originally posted by robaus:

A mate of mine married an Indonesian girl and I think he had to receive some instruction in Islam first.. whether that was conversion or not I don't know. Kept everyone sweet though.

Remember Muslims can have 4 wives... but then again, you've suffered enough already eh! Only joking.

Good luck, mate.

Good point. I'll delve a bit deeper next trip. Given that she is a 'lapsed' Muslim and there has never been any discussion of conversion, I guess she may have in mind some form of lesser ceremony.

Thanks

Sid

quote:

Originally posted by CondomKing:

Let me preface this by stating that I am no expert on Thai laws, but I have been told by my wife that when a Thai woman marries a foreigner here, in Thailand, and then registers the marriage in her local government district office that she loses her right to own land in Thailand. However, if the marriage takes place outside of Thailand and is then registered in the local district office, having been first approved by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, then the wife (not sure if it would apply to a Thai husband)does retain her land holding rights.

I know, it sounds wacky to me, too. Has anyone else ever heard of this type of marriage forfeiture?

I was told about this during a discussion of the subject by my wife and, what I would consider to be, a group of well educated Thais. I might add that I wouldn't be surprised if I completely misunderstood what they were talking about. It wouldn't be the first time.

Hmmmm. Interesting. We will not be registering the marriage as I will not be legally divorced, hence my concern to ensure that the 'ceremony' had no legal standing.

Thanks

Sid

Apparently the land ownership law has changed a bit. Previously a woman married to a foregner could not acquire land in her name. I believe the siyuation now is the foreigner has to sign to waive all rights to the land.

Hi Sidsanuk,

I live in the Abu Dhabi so know a little about the Muslim issue but maybe not the "Thai" version of the Muslim issue.

The man must convert to Islam to marry a Muslim woman. A woman does not have to convert to Islam to marry a Muslim man. This is not debatable and there are direct quotes from Prophet Muhammad covering this issue.

You must be married to live together in the UAE no matter what your religion. Lots of Western boyfriend/girlfriend combinations that get jobs in the UAE go to Shiria court in Abu Dhabi and get married in the muslim ceremony to live together in the UAE. These "Islam" marriages are not recognised in the west so there are no heavy Western divorce issues to deal with when you go home at the end of your contract.

I would guess it is seen by western law like the Mick Jagger-Jerry Hall marriage in Bali on the beach by some local religious guru type.

I don't have a clue about the "land ownership" question.

Cheers Sandman

• 4 years later...

Sid - we have Muslim staff here, for any muslim marriage ceremony, you'd have to convert first!

Welcome brother!

No way around it.

Divorse in Australia takes only a few months to finalize (When I did it a number of years back).

To marry legally here all you need to do is go to Australian Embassy, fill out a affidavite on the spot that your divorced,

Then you take that to a translator, who takes it to the foreign ministry, who then give you the ok to get married.

No "Proof" of divorce required.

be a bigamist

DOG

Hi Guys,

I think I recall Sid posting that he & his good wife now reside in Oz.

Also note that there is a 4+ year gap in the posts (up until the last 2)

G'day Sid,

Hope that if you did *convert* prior to the wedding, that it's not you that's been getting front page coverage in the newspapers this week

Cheers :stirthepo:grinyes::stirthepo

Archived