Buddhist Lent Day

Kite_Flyer

When I was in the office last week I noticed that July 11th is listed as being a public holiday for Buddhist Lent Day. I have big plans for that day (week actually) as I turn 50 on the 11th. Does anyone know if the bars will be open? I will be devastated, traumatised for life if the answer is no :yikes:

Bars don't have to shut, but they're not allowed to serve alcohol - so it means the same thing. Buddhist Lent Day is one of the holiest days in the Buddhist Calendar, so no booze! The day before (Asamha Bucha Day) will also be probably dry. I guess you'll have to celebrate your birthday a little late! :beer:

Bugger it. Sounds like my big day could be a dry argument. Just have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully at least some of the restaurants will serve beer (as happened on the recent Senate Election day). I'd hate to celebrate my 50th drinking naam sodah.

Beer is not so easy to hide, but easier to get vodka in your cola or red wine (juice). Red wine I've been served even in Bangkok on such holy days.

You have 2 alternatives - either book a restaurant for your party or go to Pattaya. Some (many/most?) restaurants inside hotels there will serve alcohol.

Archived