Sending the G/f to School (Learning English)

David_66_UK

Not sure which section that this should be posted under............

To keep the G/f busy (as well as improve her English skills) before the hoped for exodus to Farangland I want to send her off to School and she is happy with the idea. Although far from the "Queens English" her spoken English is pretty good, certainly IMO more than enough to start learning with properly and to expand her vocab when she lives and starts working in Farangland 24/7. (Benefits of 20 years "working" ::).

However although she can write English, extracting the meaning is very much an "art", due to the way she mangles her grammer.......as well as her spelling being sh#te! Having said that it IS a damn sight better than my Thai!!

I am thinking that a course lasting 2/3 months would be about right for her, although full time would be great, in practice she would probably be happier with part time. Given all this I appreciate that she will not be writing Shakespeare at the end of any course!! but I am hoping she will come to understand the grammer rules or at least be aware of them for the future, even if she will still at the end of the course struggle to put them into practice.

I guess what I am saying here is that an English Course teaching her just to parrot basic english words will be pointless and bore her shitless.

I am probably (again!) in the land of wishful thinking here - but anyone got any thoughts on somewhere?

My experience is that when the courses start on grammar, many BGs have trouble and find it boring. It all depends on how motivated she is.

*I* might want my tilak to speak English, but if she doesn't buy into the idea it doesn't matter how many classes I send her to.

Having said that, I know a couple girls that did well with AUA. But they were motivated and thought learning English was important.

Appreciate what you are saying, but (at the risk of offending any English teachers!) grammers IS as boring as shite!

But this is the area she does need help on. Motivation? Never her strong point really, but their is a point which she understands - so this makes it good enough for me to just see how she gets on.

JaiGuruDev said:

My experience is that when the courses start on grammar, many BGs have trouble and find it boring. It all depends on how motivated she is.

That's the most important point. For many BGs learning a language is after a few days "mai sanook", and so, they quit often.

Better to pay only max. one month first, then see how it works.

Archived