Bird Flu - Personal Action Plan

drlove

(Note: Kindly refrain from remarking that my idea is excessive and uncalled for in light of current events, or that I am paranoid. I want to intelligently consider a worst-case scenario and consider some appropriate steps. I'm aware that such a situation may never develop.)

I am in the process of developing a personal action plan for the possible Bird Flu Pandemic. I need some basic medical information and I would like to promote a discussion by members of what they might do to protect themselves in a worst-case scenario, whether we might be in Thailand or at home.

What I have found so far is that people have a helpless attitude. "It isn't happening so I'm not going to worry about it, and if it did happen we would all be overwhelmed. Just accept it." That is the typical reaction to potential disasters, and like a lot of other ones that people don't prepare for, this one has happened before. If you prepare for a disaster you increase your chances of coming out intact..

Worst-case scenario: "travel restrictions, mandatory quarantines, massive absenteeism, an economic slowdown and civil disturbances and breakdowns in public order." Also, fuel supplies would be limited because refineries could not function with more than 30% of employees absent. Absenteeism is predicted to be around 40%.

First, the medical questions:

Is it true that, once mutated, the only way this will be spread is by human-to-human contact? Therefore, if you can isolate yourself you should be safe?

What is sufficient isolation? Could you lock-down in an urban apartment as many would, and be safe? Could you live around or with other people, but just avoid contact? Or would further isolation be required.

I have seen predictions of an 18 month run for a bird flu pandemic. What would you stockpile for it and where?

If I were in Thailand and a pandemic develops,I would want to return to the USA to ride it out. I am concerned that I will be held in quarantine upon trying to re-enter the USA. and that in the event of a full-blown panic, protecting those in quarantine from infecting each other will be considered low-priority. What do you think?

So...let's get started...

Dr. Love

If you are in the USA , Tuesday the 9th is a TV movie to make you feel real parinoid !

its sweeps month so the TV has to make movies like this :(

Personally I always have a decent amount of food in the house , earthquake country :)

as far as the medical I have no idea ,

OC

I've had a supply of tamiflu available both here and in BKK. One view is that if bird flu becomes a human pandemic; get ill quickly and recover(hoping tamiflu is still effective) and then get on with life.The prospect of months in isolation and/or fear is potentially as dangerous as any flu symptoms.

JP

You are very correct in setting up a Personal Action Plan.

Anyone who has read about the pandemic flu of 1917/18 would be wise to prepare oneself.

More US WWI soldiers died of the flu than died in combat.

Hide. That is my advice. Set up a bunker someplace with food and water. Get a crank light and radio. Or get a sailboat and outfit with same.

There is no drug proven to prevent nor cure this illness.

Archived