AIS1-2 call works in the USA...?

Old Hippie

I turned on my Thai mobile phone the other day, I was getting messages from Ais 1-2 call saying would work in the USA, if I enter a code of some sort...wondering what rates would apply...also, anyone know how to be able to send pictures back and fourth using 1-2 call in BKK? I keep being told you need to tell them to activate the service...any info appreciated?

I have no idea, I had the phone on for 30 minutes, to charge the battery up, and I started getting SMSs from AIS 1-2 call saying how to make a call...Let me try to actually call my Thai phone...yep, can call myself...so it does work! no ideas what the roaming charges are...I assume I could recharge my phone also, if I had the cards...

I am assuming AIS has an agreement with my carier here in the USA, which is Cingular.

I have had exactly the same experience. Popped an AIS 1-2-call SIM into my phone here in the US to try to verify that I had gotten the phone unlocked correctly, and I started getting SMSes welcoming me to the US etc.

My carrier is T-Mobile, so AIS must have roaming agreements in place with multiple carriers in the US. Like you I don't think I wanna know what the int'l roaming charges are!

OK. I am about 50 miles south of Chicago and get nill.

I will be at the airport tomorrow and will give it a try.

If you can do a refill here in the USA, then you will be able to keep the same number, unlike my Malay SIMM that expires in 30 days (you lose you $$$ in the account) and then after 90 days, the number is completely dead :(

Of course. the Malays changed the policy and did not bother to notify anyone! I am still fighting to get my 300 Rg back!!!

::

I don't think you could do a refill in the US unless you got someone to buy a refill card in Thailand and SMS you the refill pin#.

Fortunately I still have an account at a Thai bank with internet banking so I can juice up the Thai number from anywhere in the world and keep the same #.

Archived