Italian marriage in Bangkok

Have anyone had any experience about marriage between an Italian national (male) and a a Thai national (female)?? Both have legal age. Document needed? Procedure? Italian embassy in Bkk needs to be involved? Any difficulties? Anything to prepare bofore hand ? How long does it take ?

First hand experiences would be greatly appreicated. Second hand ones are welcome too.

Thanks in advance.

See this thread. Doesn't matter what non-Thai country you are from if you marry a Thai. The rules are the same.

In that thread, some guys talk about going to the Thai Foreign Ministry, but I do not recall having done that and suspect that if you use a certified translator you do not need to (but my memory could have just faded too). Or maybe it is a new requirement from when I got married.

FYI there are several certified translators around near the US/UK Embassies at Ploenchit & Withayu. Ask them if their translations are sealed and certified and acceptable by the amphur/embassy.

Cheers,

SD

Checked the website of italian embassy in sweden and found the text in english So far I understand the texts are identical except the languages.

MARRIAGE

Registration in Italy of the marriage abroad of Italian citizens:

In order to have legal value in Italy a marriage celebrated abroad must be transcribed in Italian at the authorised municipality.

An Italian citizen duly registered with AIRE will have to ask that the wedding bans be posted at the consulate and will then be able to be married either before the authorised foreign authorities or at the consulate, on the condition that there is no local law preventing this.

The Italian citizen residing in Italy will have to request that the marriage bans be posted in the municipality of residence and can then be married before foreign authorities.

The persons concerned are then required to bring the marriage certificate issued by the local authorities, with relative translation and eventual authentication, to the authorised consulate to be forwarded to the authorised Italian municipality for registration.

Archived