Passing Thai job interviews - advice needed?

WorldFun

Well yeah you guessed it I've landed one - job interview that is :)

Actually its the 2nd one for the same bkk/european company, so was wondering what one should focus on as not to 'fail' a 2nd interview i.e. first interview for a 2nd job opening that is ;)

I mean thai interviews seem to differ quite a bit from european/western ones, so I guess I'm mostly after some general advice as to for example what to focus on in initial interview, 2nd interview etc.

E.g. would it be considered a bit rude if taking charge of interview as is often recommended in the west to show confidence & initiative?

I can add its a combined technical & sales role, so my worst worry is my potential lack of experiences in sales presentations etc. Any hints?

Thanks Owe you all one :beer::up:

it depends whether the interview is in thai or in english and what position the interview partner has in relation to the job opening position.

for a sales position emphasize on your skills to build up relationships with customers far beyond normal business relations. don't worry about the lack of presentation techniques too much; i have seldom seen a thai sales guy really good at that. also tell them that you will take full responsibility for your customers (not the usual sell and forget approach) even if you have to collect payments from lousy payers (quite common in thailand!).

• 2 weeks later...

most thai interviewers really are not interested in your business and other skills but mainly how you would fit in with the team. Things like family, interests, personality etc are more important that past successes. As long as you have the basic skills and education level that they" think they are looking for" they will judge you on the other things more.

Suggest you to be down to earth, extremely well dresses. ( polished shoes, no hats/bracelets/shown tatoos, belt, necktie etc) Every year I sit in on the interviews with the thai staff. This year a canadian/australian candidate in my opinion was one of the best i have ever seen. All the Thais said no and immediately stuck up their nose at him since he wore an australian style hat into the interview room. Funny bunch they are.

whosyourdaddy said:...........All the Thais said no and immediately stuck up their nose at him since he wore an australian style hat into the interview room. Funny bunch they are.

I quess they were right. If he didn't have the sense to not wear something inappropriate then perhaps he would make other wrong decisions. Even if it was his 'very favourite' hat that had been left to him by his great grandfather he could have had the sense to leave it off for an hour for the interview.

Archived