Will the bars be closed in June 2006?

Remember that many visiting heads of state will be here for the occasion, including several dozen foreign royals. In the past the Thai government has cracked down on the bars during international meetings here, e.g. the Asian Games and that big regional gathering when Bush and all were here (APEC or something). Thus while the bars may be open most of the time, don't expect to see any skin or anything very "naughty" then.

Hi...thanks in advance.....Any one know what happened 10 years ago? How about soapys in Bkk? How about Eden? Akane? Is it bars only that are forced to close under these circumstances? Suggestions for a Plan B for BKK during 6/9-13 would be appreciated.

FYI

I just spoke to a policeman in Bangkok I know. He said there is no decision yet that he knows of and he will probably not know to a day or two before. But his best guess is that they will be closed for 3 days: 10,11 & 12

Talking to people I think the general expectation is that the bars will be closed for a time and 2 days looks the minimum

I think that may help those thinking of coming. Of course there will always be something somewhere: depending upon where you are. The instruction to close will come from on high and will apply everywhere. Of course some maybe will opt out by making a contribution!

So I doubt whether we will know what is really happening until it has happened. TITs

Just my experience of while the bars were closed over the election days, but the fun doesn't really shut down, it just goes underground - in a manner of speaking.

If anything I enjoyed the subterfuge of buying beer at the illegal stores on the street, occasionally the police would come by and seize all the visible beer on the street (no doubt stocking up for the weekend lol), and the vendors would be up and running again in another 5 minutes from their secret stashes. LMAO watching a pack of lady boys stampede up the soi when the police turned up one time - it was quite an impressive sight, damn they're fast!!!

If anything, the freelancing scene brightens up a bit, for fairly obvious reasons. In the low season - I'm thinking I'm going to relish whatever holiday comes along, this sees me rubbing my hands together in cheery optimism (all is not lost MrBlonde!) - just make sure to stock up with plenty of beer and provisions beforehand!!!

Archived