Will the bars be closed in June 2006?

I will be in Pattaya in June, but now I hear that the month of June is full of celebrations of the Kings 60 years on the throne. From experience I know that all bars in Pattaya close when there is some festivities with the king. Does this mean that the bars in Pattaya will close in June many times? Does anyone know on which days the bars will close in June?

Straight answer is that nobody knows. I would think there is a probability of bars closing for at least 2 days around June 10 - 13. Could be longer

Bar owners think they will know about a week in advance but it not unusual to not not know to the night before

Not very helpful but you are asking a question many others are asking! TITs

curious1111 said:From experience I know that all bars in Pattaya close when there is some festivities with the king

you should not mix this up with 5. December, which is the birthday of our beloved King and also THE National Holiday in Thailand. Bars have always been closed on this day already for years.

now those june festivities are a bit different. those are celebrations for the 60. anniversary of accession to the throne.

the real anniversary was on 5. may, the coronation day, also a holiday in Thailand. but this one is usually not as strict as the 5. december.

Need a historian ... anyone?

Coronation Day (5 May) is the actual date of, well, coronation - "the ceremony of installing a new monarch". That date was May 5th, 1950. So this year we celebrated the 56th year only.

This holiday is the 60th Anniversary of the Accession to the Throne - that date was June 9th, 1946. So that will be 60 years this year.

King Rama 9

samak said:you should not mix this up with 5. December, which is the birthday of our beloved King and also THE National Holiday in Thailand. Bars have always been closed on this day already for years.

:dunno: I believe that "bars" only were forced to close since about 2001 onwards. Before then, this date was a Celebration with everything open. But my memory is not so good anymore! :o

ooops....i stand corrected; of course you are right. coronation and accession are of course two different things! sorry!

however i can remember that already during the nineties bars were closed on 5. december. this date and Khao Pansa were always pretty strict in Bangkok since i am here.

maybe not so in Pattaya....

And back to the original question, will the bars be closed in mid-June. I was planning on making a trip to Thailand mid-June. If I know when the bars will be closed, I will adjust my timing accordingly.

Does anyone know? There must be some bar owners here and the police must give them this information before they close the bars for several days. Or am I expecting too much?

Archived