LaoHuLi, The final report:

dddave

Today under a blazing Cambodian sky, a score of local friends who held Frank in high regard, witnessed the beginning of his latest journey. Promptly at two pm, a plain pine coffin was delivered to the small creamatorium behind a simple Wat, just a few blockes from where he had spent his last two years.

A lovely wreath, with a photo of a grinning Frank sitting by his beloved suitcase computer, stood at his feet. Floral offerings, most from his Cambodian friends with whom he had worked, were laid out on a low table close by.

We gathered around the casket, the four attending monks then intoned a Bhuddist chant, after which we circled around it three times. A final blessing from the oldest monk and a torch of jasmine flowers held by Ed and Brett was lit and touched to the wide, wax ribbon extending from the casket. Flames grew rapidly and the doors to the chamber were closed

We all stood around for a while, nobody wanted to rush away. Memories of Frank, a few jokes and many thank you's were exchanged. Small and simple, it all had befitted the man we liked so much.

On this coming Sunday at 11am, all friends of Frank are invited to gather at the Sisowath riverbank where we will all board a hired boat, well stocked with cold liquid refreshment for a cruise to the Mekong River where we will release his ashes into the waters that wind thru all the Asia he lived and loved in; it will NOT be a somber affair.

Send me a PM if you can attend and I'll send you the specific details.

Ddave,

I'll raise a glass around noon Sunday to Frank. You guys have been good friends and I am sure Frank knew that and appreciates all you've done, as do all his other friends and family who could not be there. You're a good friend Dave.

I was sorry to hear of his passing. I was encouraged by the previous posts of him rallying back from the edge, and was hoping he might be able to get the health care he needed to possibly get the chance to spend more time in this land that he loved so much, and where he felt at home and was happy in. I was a bit shocked he then passed so quickly after the encouraging news.

Thanks Dave for all you've done for him, and for keeping us posted on events.

Cent

Archived