Life as an Illegal

bust

I remember someone posted recently about girls not having any ID and the questions it raised, underage, illegal etc.

I posted many times about my GF, not BG although I call her BG (Burma Girl). She is stateless in BKK. Always gives the Suk area a wide birth as she knows how easy it would be to get picked up around there. Works straight jobs usually cooking and cleaning for Indian families as she is fluent in Nepalese and Indian. Saves hard and send money to parents who I have stayed with in Myanmar and are very good people. We managed to get her a Thai, Migrant Work Permit last year but it expired in March. Incidentally took 9 months to actually get the card after paying B8500 to some shifty. Because I spend a lot of time in LOS, 18 weeks last year, we decided to set up an apartment. Seemed logical, no hotel bills and I would pay the difference to what she was currently paying so she wasn't out of pocket. Would also be a much more comfortable place for her instead of her current location which is pretty dodgy, down past On Nut. So we finally settle on a nice studio near Pratanum and delay the move until after I leave. I pay the 2 months security and a month in advance. Everyone is happy. Now this is what has happened since. BG goes to move in and Manager refuses to let her because her ID card has expired. I ask them to contact me but they refuse to. I tell her to collect the security and months rent.They refuse to refund it. So I will have to sought out when I get back. So she moves in with friend at Phra Khnong. That was last week and I haven't been able to contact her since. All soughts of things are going through my mind as you can imagine. This morning I awake to a blank text message from a number I did not recognize. I call it and BG answers. Instant relief as this girl means a lot to me. A very good mate of mine who has lived in Suk Soi 11 for the past 6 years sometimes has coffee with her for me just to check up on her or to give her parcels I send for her. Last Friday on her way to meet him she got picked up. I guess probably because she stands out as not being Thai and is young and cute. They finally let her out this morning. So this is what they took, the new nokia I bought her on my last visit as I was sick of not being able to hear her on her old crappy one - B9200, the balance of the money I had left her for odds and ends to buy for apartment B4500, they took her ATM and pin and emptied her savings account, not sure how much was in it but she had enough to renew her ID card B8500 then told her if they saw her around again they would send her back to Burma, even though she is not officially Burmese. So at the moment I'm pissed severely at the Police but also extrememely relieved to find she is OK. Long post I know but just had to get it off my chest. Don't for a minute ever think it easy for some in LOS.

bust1,

Truly feel sorry for your girl, and the anxiety that you are going through with all this. I have finally learned that NOTHING goes as planned in Thailand. Even after covering all the bases/details, making a check list etc. There is ALWAYS something that causes our planning to crash and burn. The cops, what heartless bastards.

Can she purchase a fake Thai ID? Please keep us posted.

-OT

We have a Burmese Maid who apart from trips to the local market is afraid to go far from the house because the cops shake her down for money despite the fact that she is (usually) legal. They know she has few rights here so they are quite happy to steal money from a poor immigrant worker. I helped her by getting the cop I pay to give her his card and number so if it happens again she at least has a cooperative cop to call.

I imagine you are quite relieved. I hope you manage to get "legal" one way or the other, for your long-term piece of mind.

I suspect Mr. Woww is onto something. Maybe the manager figured that the cops would give her the bum's rush out of the country and there wouldn't be anybody to give them grief over keeping the rent and deposit money.

Your post dredges up two of my pet peeves -abusive apartment managers who scam renters on the deposit, and corrupt police (remember when a famous politician eradicated corruption on the police force?) Both are scum.

And no, SuaDum,its not just whining.

this is the kind of stuff that should get attention in the media ( bkk post?)

rub their noses in it till they tire of the stink and do something about it

Archived