Chelsea not seeded for CL draw!

teddy

chelseafan said:

and....WE'VE GOT SHEVCHENKO :neener:

I am really crapping myself about Sheva after what he has done against us in the past, I really have nightmares when I think of the terrified look on his face when he took the last Milan penalty and tamely passed it to Dudek to lose the CL final.

This is the best site I have found about questions about seeding, far better than UEFAs site.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seedcl2006.html

These are the rules deciding the coefficients and qualifying

The Champions League contains 32 teams in the group stage, and is be preceeded by three qualifying stages. The champions of all countries enter the Champions League, but high ranked countries can send up to 4 teams. Some teams of high ranked countries are directly qualified for the group stage, while others have to play qualifying rounds. See wikipedia for more general info.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

1st Qualifying Round July 24 champions from countries ranked 26 or lower

2nd Qualifying Round Jul-Aug involving 28 teams:

12 winners from 1st qualifying round

10 champions from countries ranked 16-25

6 second-placed teams from countries ranked 10-15

3rd Qualifying Round August involving 32 teams:

14 winners from 2nd qualifying round

6 champions from countries ranked 10-15

3 second-placed teams from countries ranked 7-9

6 third-placed teams from countries ranked 1-6

3 fourth-placed teams from countries ranked 1-3

Group Stage Sep-Dec involving 8 groups of 4 teams each:

16 winners from 3rd qualifying round

9 champions from countries ranked 1-9

6 second-placed teams from countries ranked 1-6

1 defending cup holder

Play-offs Feb-May involving 16 teams:

8 group second-placed teams and 8 winners from group stage

play the 2nd round, the quarter finals, the semi finals, and the final

championscup Losing teams in the 3rd qualifying round enter the 1st round of the UEFA Cup, and third-placed teams from the group stage enter the 3rd round of the UEFA Cup.

The defending Champions league cup-holder always takes part. If the defending cup-holder does not finish in a qualifying place in their domestic competition they will come in at the expense of the last-placed side of that association, except for associations ranked 16 or below (which implies that the champion of each country always takes part). In this case the last-placed team for the Champions League of that association has to take part in the UEFA Cup. Only if the defending Champions league cup-holder also did not qualify for the UEFA Cup this will lead to an additional UEFA Cup berth for that association.

If the defending cup holder already qualified directly for the group stage of the Champions League, the champion of the 10th country on the country ranking list will gain direct access to the group stage, the champion of the 16th country on the country ranking list will gain direct access to the 3rd qualifying round, and the champions of the 26th and 27th country on the country ranking list will gain direct access to the 2nd qualifying round. Similar changes are made if the cup holder already qualified directly for one of the qualification rounds.

If in the group stage of the Champions League two or more teams finish equal on points after all the group matches have been played, the following criteria are applied to determine the group rankings:

1. Higher number of points obtained in the matches between the teams in question

2. Superior goal difference from the matches between the teams in question

3. Higher number of goals scored away from home in the matches between the teams in question

4. Superior goal difference from all group matches played

5. Higher number of goals scored

6. Coefficient points accumulated by the club in question, as well as its association, over the previous five seasons

Hope everyone is clear now :)

no problem,quite straightforward.

but as someone mentioned earlier it also depends on the Countries record and the Teams who qualify.

winning the Domestic Title doesn't grant you automatic Seeding,at the moment MU and Arsenal are higher ranked than Chelsea because of their record over the past Seasons of the CL.

you will always see Teams like Real Madrid,Barca,Juve and Milan Seeded because of their past exploits.

but i wonder what would happen if Juve were found guilty of misconduct and relegated.

i would imagine that Serie A would be awarded to the Team who came 2nd and Juve would be expelled from the CL....... :dunno:

Archived