Money Order or Check in US $

gummigut

TO the Original Poster:

Why don't you ask among your US friends living in Thailand if they have a checking acct in the US. Then, pay him the equivalent baht to write a check for you.

Most US Checking accts now have linked internet payment centers (ie Paybill) that will allow you to cut checks and deliver the check in the US within days. It is a lot faster than posting a check from Thailand. I have done this for friends in the past to pay a credit card bill with no problem. There is an area in Paybill to indicate the acct number you are paying and a memo area for the name.

Okay, I didn't get to the Thai Post Office, but I did get to a branch of my bank.

Not a main branch mind you.

Okay, the answer I got was that I could not write a check in dollar denomination. The brilliant reasoning is that on my check, the word Baht is printed where you write out in words the amount.

Gah!!!

I'm pretty sure if I crossed this out, and wrote dollars, it would go through. Wish I thought of this a month ago and then I could have tried it.

<<burp>>

The international banking system is actually quite capable of handling checks written in another country, but it usually takes quite a while for the check to clear all the way through. Problem is getting anyone to take a check from a foreign country. If you are the merchant who takes the check and it bounces at the originating bank in two months, you're stuck. There is also the problem of knowing what the effective exchange rate will be when the check actually clears.

Archived