Money Order or Check in US $

gummigut

gummigut said:

I've got a Thai checking account. Can I write a check in the amount of US$'s?

I've never tried it...but I have savings, not checking acc'ts in Thailand. The few times I needed to send $US, I went to the bank and they cut a check for me...converting Baht from my acc't to $$ , plus a service fee.

I have a Bangkok Bank account opened last December. At the time I was told I could deposit checks written on my US checking account in $$; there would be a B1000 fee per check and a 30 day clearing period.

When I tried to deposit a check a few months ago, I was told "No!", my account would have to be open for more than six months to be allowed to deposit checks.

Now six months: we'll see.

gummigut said:

I've got a Thai checking account. Can I write a check in the amount of US$'s?

I think I'm going to try it.

In any event, does the Thai post office issue money orders denominated in US$'s?

Curious.

<<burp>>

Would a US bank allow you to write a check for Baht on your account? Can you get a money order for Baht in US?

I doubt it. ::

TH

gummi I don't think it will work. I do know you can walk into any bank and ask for a 'bank check' in any currency you might want.

They sit you down and you tell them how much you want, and what currency, they then do the conversion and show you how much. If it your bank you can withdraw from your account and walk with the check. If it is not your bank they will require you to pay right there.

Depending on the amount of US$ they will make you sign a form that lets the IRS know you are moving dollars, I think it is a ridiculously low amount like over $300.00 USD.

I used to do this at Bangkok Bank monthly....I forget what the fee is, but it's pretty insignificant...I'm thinking 300 baht.

It is the same basic procedure as a wire transfer.

Has anyone answered the original question? Does the Thai post office issue international money orders? In the US, the post office does issue international money orders, but only for a few foreign countries. And I don't think Thailand is one of them.

On to money. If it is just your money and you want access to it, then get an ATM card. If you want to send money to someone in another country, something like Western Union is one option.

Bank transfers, electronic transfers, all have fees associated with and can be quite expensive. Yes, ATM's have fees, but usually smaller.

Has the original question been answered?

Interesting, I thought someone would have encountered this before.

Welp, I guess I'll try and find a post office tomorrow.

I just need a check to pay for a service from the States.

Been here so long, I no longer have a US bank account (which I now regret, could've come in handy a number of times).

But the past is past :)

Else I'll try a bank :)

<<burp>>

This is a good reminder for all expats living in LOS.

Maybe keep one free checking account in home country.

Normally, that means keeping a mailing address in home country. A relative, friend, associate can be useful for this. To be used for the monthly statements.

In the worst case, an attorney can be used for this. For a fee.

Archived