Thai man to be Deported from UK? - Poll!!!

David_66_UK

A cross-party parliamentary motion calling for the release of a Thai man taken from Shetland for deportation has been tabled.

Sakchai Makao is being held as part of a Home Office crackdown on foreign nationals with a criminal record.

The 23-year-old spent eight months in jail for fire-raising two years ago.

Orkney and Shetland MP Alistair Carmichael tabled the motion for the Home Office to "rescind the deportation order and release Mr Makao".

Mr Makao, who has lived on the island since he was 10, was taken from his home in Lerwick more than a week ago and is being held at Durham Prison.

I will do everything I can to highlight the unfairness of this case

Alistair Carmichael

Orkney and Shetland MP

A major campaign has been launched in Shetland to fight the deportation of the sports centre worker and talented athlete, with thousands of islanders backing his case.

Lib Dem MP Mr Carmichael said: "A number of MPs have contacted me to say that they are keen to support the campaign to secure the release of Sakchai.

Petition plan

"I am confident that a large number of MPs from across the political spectrum will back this motion - adding further weight to the campaign to get Sakchai back to the community where he belongs.

"So far Liberal Democrat, Labour and SNP MPs have agreed to co-sponsor this motion.

"It is clear that the Home Office has made no effort to investigate the case properly and they continue to maintain an unsustainable position. Until they do I will do everything I can to highlight the unfairness of this case."

Campaigners on Shetland hoping to stop the deportation of Mr Makao plan to appeal directly to Prime Minister Tony Blair with petitions signed by thousands of people.

Mr Makao's lawyer has made an application for bail on her client's behalf.

The Home Office said it could not comment on individual cases.

Mr Makao was sentenced to 15 months in prison in January 2004 for fire-raising.

Lerwick Sheriff Court heard a mobile building and car were destroyed by fire when he was drunk in "two moments of madness" in 2002.

Mr Makao has won athletics medals in Shetland, taking part in sports such as the long jump and triple jump.

BBC

Dunno whether this would ever happen in Thailand with a Farang.............

Let's face it, the Shetlands are a powerhouse of Atheltic development for the tiple, jump, and the hop kipper and scotch, similar to small African Nations with the long distance runner and the jamacian sprinters.

This is small minded of the london based pollies, let him stay and lead on at the next commonwealth games.

DOG

i and i imagine others have been guilty of 'moments of madness'.

but is this a case for deportation?,i don't think so.

i have been following this case closely and feel sorry for the Guy.

he has no Family in the UK or Thailand,he has no home to go to in Thailand.

he is popular in his current Community and his past victims have forgiven him and are supporting his bid to remain in the UK.

i think the Government would be doing wrong if they throw him out considering the Foreign Rapists,Paedos,Murderers and other type of criminal they allow to remain here.

very easy to pick on a soft target..........

sayjann said:

he has no Family in the UK or Thailand,he has no home to go to in Thailand.

His mother and sister were on TV this morning both in the UK :: ::

But I agree he should not be deported, we are letting the shit of the world in every day. He commited a crime but has served his time.

Typical British police, get the easy target, if he was Muslim we would be offering money and apologising for all our evil colonial ways ::

:o

didn't see that.

i only said what i said because of comments made by his MP.

but i stick by my view that he should stay.

it seems he has made a useful contribution in his Community and is well liked.

any chance we can petition for Tony Blair to be deported back to Scotland for being a cunt?.............

?I am so proud to be a Shetlander?

DAVID ROSS, Highland Correspondent June 21 2006

A Thai man facing deportation after spending most of his life in Scotland yesterday said he was proud to be a Shetlander after he was freed on bail pending an appeal next month.

Sakchai Makao, 23, who has a conviction for fireraising, has been held in Durham jail since being taken from his home in Lerwick two weeks ago.

Yesterday he said he had just endured the "scariest" days of his life and wanted nothing more than to be left in peace in Shetland where the 23-year-old Thai national has lived since he was 10.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/64435.html

http://www.theherald.co.uk/features/64417.html

Archived