Early closure in Phnom Penh!

Thaistyx

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia (AP) - Cambodia's prime minister on Tuesday ordered all night entertainment places around the country closed, saying they were responsible for the recent surge in violent crime and drug abuse.

Prime Minister Hun Sen's order, which will take effect Friday, shuts down all dance bars, night clubs, discotheques, and karaoke parlors.

The directive came after a gunman opened fire at a karaoke club on Monday night, killing one person and injuring five others.

In a statement, Hun Sen said the entertainment establishments "have recently given rise to the trade and use of drugs and other criminal acts, damaging social order and good national tradition."

Chea Sophara, the capital's governor, said the government has no choice but to adopt the measures to protect Cambodian youth from social ills.

"Many parents are very fearful and concerned about their children skipping school," he said. "The number of youth visiting those places are on the rise." He said some karaoke parlors have beds to accommodate the sex industry, leaving the government no choice but to shut them down.

100% they will take more notice of Hun Sen than they do of Purachai.

A few years ago Hun Sen banned tinted windows on Cars, within a few days not a car to be seen with black windows. Helps haveing been involved with homocidal maniacs and everyone knowing you are the same now as you were then...

I don't think the crossover business is huge, but let's see how this affects Thailand during the high season.

Specifically, I don't think many sexpats head only to PP. However, I believe many had been taking side excursions to PP while in Thailand. Those might dry up now. Nothing against PP, but except for the likes of K-11, Martini's and Sharky's, IMO, there isn't much else there. Siem Riep is another story, but you won't find many sexpats flocking there or to Lucky Burger with the nightspots shut down.

I just read this in todays paper:

JG

quote:

Cambodia's bars forced to close in crime crackdown

Agence France-Presse

Saturday, November 24, 2001 ? Print Edition, Page A21

PHNOM PENH -- Cambodian drinkers swilled their last beers and left their favourite haunts last night as police began enforcing a countrywide closing of nightclubs, bars and karaoke hangouts.

Prime Minister Hun Sen ordered the closing as of 6 p.m. yesterday as part of a crackdown on legal and illegal bars, which have become a haven for prostitution, drugs and organized crime.

No details have been given on how long the crackdown will last. Hun Sen said crime is damaging national traditions, hurting Cambodia's prestige and heightening concerns among parents.

Across Phnom Penh, karaoke bars and nightclubs were locked up, but a handful of bars targeting the tourist market remained open and were to be inspected by police who would determine their fate.

A few other bars were testing the authorities and had removed karaoke advertising signs and replaced them with restaurant hoardings. Restaurants serving drinks are allowed to remain open.

"There's only two places in the world where they do this," a karaoke patron lamented, "and that's the Taliban in Afghanistan and North Korea."

Cambodia has embarked on an ambitious attempt to clean up the capital through infrastructure projects and eliminating the seedier side of the city.

But critics argue the crackdown is indiscriminate and will throw thousands of people out of work -- including about 30,000 women -- as well as hurt the government's ability to raise desperately needed tax revenue.

Bar owners said they had received documents from the authorities demanding that they "close voluntarily" and had been confronted by police who insisted the Prime Minister's order would be carried out.

"Most are signing because they have no choice," said a bar manager who asked not to be named. "If there's any chance of reopening your bar later, then you have to volunteer to close now."

Cambodian Finance Minister Keat Chhon said values were more important than tax from alcohol and any impact would be minimal.

quote:

Originally posted by pattaya127:

The whole tourist sex burgeoning scene has always brushed me the wrong way in cambodia, mostly because my emotions run very high as to the recent genocidal history it is still reeling from and I can't equate this country with vacational sex. But that's me....

not only you, mate...

>Someone sighted our very own KM11 demonstrating alone in PP, carrying a banderolle that said:

AND ME! DID YOU THINK ABOUT ME? WHAT DO I HAVE LEFT TO SAY?

Eagerly awaiting any new posts from him to re-assure us he did not go the way of so many opposing Hun Sen's decisions.

LOL<

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

I'm in PP right now. This is the latest from me and what my reliable drive has told me.

Monday night my driver took me to a massage place that was open on 63rd street. Quite descreet and you would not find it unless you know where to go. It was an open fishbowl with at least 25 girls. The papasan has been paying off the police to stay open, so my LT take away cost more than usual. Price was $40US for a young cutie.

KM11 was not open when I arrived early this morning but one place opended up for me. Did a couple of ST. Plan to go back this afternoon and several more times this week.

Martinis is scheuled to reopen on Friday and Ã'm scheduled to attend a reopening on Thursday of another place.

According to my driver places that are properly licensed and have met new standards will be allowed to reopen. I dont know what all of the standards are, but one requires all girls at massage places to be properly numberéd and "licensed"". Too many freelancer massage girls as I understand resulting in too low of a payoff to the authorities.

Archived