CS to Phnom Penh--Not a Trip Report Per Se

Steve

Meeting people from all over the world.

Yes, I am one of those. I met some facinating people while in Phnom Penh. Some had locals gal friends, one had a local wife, while others just traveling with another friend or alone.

I met Vinnie who was traveling with a friend thru SE Asia. He was all interested in Margarita Island off South Ameria someplace. And later while in Saigon, I stumbled again into Vinnie.

In the open market, one guy approaches me and starts up a conversation. He was a plumber from Florida USA. Traveling alone and living in guest houses. He takes a month off each year and traverses SE Asia. I saw this fellow again, at night, in a restaurant. He was sitting at the bar next to Frank - and and getting an earful (or giving one) to/from Frank.

I was invited out to dinner by a small group from the hotel. One fellow was from Pakistan (now USA) and another from India, and the rest from N. America. It was like a little United Nations. And everybody got along.

One N. Amerian fellow was a repeat visitor to Phnom Penh, and was in the process of marrying a Combodian gal (ethnic Vietnamese). Apparently, when the Vietnamese ran the country, they brought a bunch of people from Vietnam, and left them behind when they pulled out.

It's just a facinating place. Laid back and low key. I think that is where the comparison comes in. Somewhat like Bangkok of years gone by.

The comparison is probably more romatic nostalgia than reality.

Archived