Frequent Flyer upgrade experience for miles?

thalenoi

Exchanged 40k miles for business upgrade on Qatar BKK-DOH-CDG and it was great, really very very good.

But checking my milage status online I see "Business Class Fare paid is not eligible" and get no miles for the trip :doah:

Any one know if that is normal practice? I know I can send them an email to ask, but would like to know what others airlines do.

I bought an economy ticket and asked for an upgrade, I supposed I would get regular economy miles and keep my status for next year, but like this I will not get my gold card....

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you just get the miles for the class you pay for! that's like in life, you get what you pay for! :neener:

if you have free tickets: ZERO mileage credit.

upgrade to biz or first: just mileage on the class you paid for.

that's applicable on all frequent flyer programs i know of...

Getting the miles corresponding to the class U paid for is indeed standard, yet I happened to get the miles of the upgraded class on TG (like a few weeks ago coming back from BKK ). TG must have seeked revenge! Showed up without a reservation to Don Muang a few days ago with BOTH a ticket in J and F to CDG but both cabins were full and had to fly in Y :banghead:

Noticed as well they credited the miles as Y trip (while it ended up costing me a J coupon)... :cussing:

I once also got miles for an upgraded trip in 1st class, more than 1 year later TG discovered it an took back the difference between 1st and economy (had used a renewal upgrade to biz and as biz was overbooked I was upgraded to 1st). :)

samak said:

you just get the miles for the class you pay for! that's like in life, you get what you pay for! :neener:

if you have free tickets: ZERO mileage credit.

upgrade to biz or first: just mileage on the class you paid for.

that's applicable on all frequent flyer programs i know of...

Ja, from nothing comes nothing, especially in LOS

I once also got miles for an upgraded trip in 1st class, more than 1 year later TG discovered it an took back the difference between 1st and economy (had used a renewal upgrade to biz and as biz was overbooked I was upgraded to 1st).

NWA did the same thing witn me, guess I should have chased in the miles b4 they figured it out.

It depends on your status!

If you have in example Senator Status with Miles and More you won't get bonus miles from Thai Airways, you have to apply for an TG account as well. Once you have reached Gold Status they will give you bonus miles from the upgraded flights.

Don't know about other countries but on the route FRA-BKK Thai is offering the upgrades very cheap (600 USD per class) Ask Lufthansa for an upgrade on the same route you'll pay 3 times more! If you have time to travel you could redeem your miles at hotels. Thai has really great hotel partners all over the world!

I don't know if this works for you too, but my travel agent always surprises me with incredibly cheap first class tickets (official rate 7400 EUR, Discount Rate 7 days before flight 3500 EUR, My Travel Agency 2200 EUR) That's exactly the rate I would pay for business class.

On my route i get 10.000 miles per flight.

Check out their special miles packages or even better, call them! You'll be surprised what they offer you for 30.000 miles for free! I don't know if these offers are just for Gold Members!

Check it out, if the upgrades are cheap for you too it might be worth it to pay them in cash and to receive a free holidays on thei costs!

:twocents:

"I don't know if this works for you too, but my travel agent always surprises me with incredibly cheap first class tickets (official rate 7400 EUR, Discount Rate 7 days before flight 3500 EUR, My Travel Agency 2200 EUR) That's exactly the rate I would pay for business class."

How can you get those rates?? dirt cheap for First! Plus the new TG F is awesome! almost OD'd on caviar and it's so relaxing to lie in those isolated seats.

Anybody knows where to get similar rates?? preferably in Paris or Bangkok??

Kojis, envious!!

Archived