25kg Fed-Ex or UPS special boxes to USA ?

OCgringo

Hi

has anyone used this service ?

both UPS and Fed EX have special boxes you can fill to 25kg or so ,

cost a little over 5000 baht,

But what are the fees on the USA side ?

US customs , etc

I was told under $200 sailed thru , but has anyone done it ?

Thanks

PS....Thai post is cheaper by ground but takes 6-10 weeks

I have used the UPS several times.

It is more cost effective if you fill the UPS box to 30 kilos.

As far as sailing thru, that is another story. You can pull of the internet the rates customs will charge for every item. What I have found if you check, some have challenged the rates and when they ship, they include the document with the 'new rate'. If you check the challenges, you will see the rates fluctuate a lot. Pick the lowest rate.

Also, if you can, get a receipt for a lower price, this will get you a lower custom's charge but if something happens with the shipment, you are screwed.

Check to see what you can legally send from Thailand. If you send something that is not suppose to be shipped, it will be stopped at Bangkok airport.

You can track the progress of the shipment by internet. I had one shipment that got to California, then went to Alaska then went to California then went to Hong Kong. I was able to get them to reroute it and I got the shipment.

You can go to HERE and check the Harmonized Tariff Schedule.

You can also go HERE to do a search, for example on castings, to get an idea of what rate you may have to pay.

Make sure you enclose a copy of the document with the lowest rate for your particular item inside the package. If you do, you will probably get that rate.

I wonder what the success rate would be in getting packages delivered to a foreign country via the Thai Post. My guess is that a number of packages that contain anything of value would end up "missing or lost" :dunno: offsetting any potentail savings in shipping costs.

At least that seems to be the case on inbound packages.

everything I have shipped in Thai post has arrived in California,

but pack it good , lots of tape etc

the boxes all look like they have been rolled down a hill :)

50% plus are opened by US customs , but never had a fee yet ,

This is heavy cast stuff etc , so I know it will hammer the box , but its unbeliebable how the boxes are beat up.

The tariff is not the problem , its very low to the USA , its if you have to pay a set customs fee etc plus the tariffs,

I know shipping USA-Canada on Fed-Ex or UPS that they charge a pretty big fee.

OC

• 2 weeks later...

If you use Post Office, then package properly, with paper tape, and send Registered Mail.

Registered Mail has to be signed for for each person who touches package. It does, though, cost more.

And do the drop test. That means, package real, real securely.

Theft is a problem in all post offices.

UPS and Fedex has better track record as far as theft.

HI, I regularly sent 4kg boxes via thaipost to UK, I've never lost one. I have a mate who is a philatelic dealer and the high value used baht stamps are rare so I just cover the box in 500,250,100 baht stamps,the post offcie staff are'nt particularly helpful and regard me as another iritating farang as they prefer the to produce a label, but it all works out in the end. I've been shipping books/used commemorative stamps in volume for the last coulpe of years. Asw long as its signed for the prospects of loss are mimimal.

JP

Everything I have sent in Thai Post has got there ,

Its not cheap , even siurface mail is about 200 baht a KG,

I just shipped a box today , 1700 baht for a little over 8kgs

OC

PS....I plan on doing the 25kg UPS box today....

will report how it goes.....

Archived