Obake in Thailand...

I’m pretty sure this was covered on the old Delphi site but wanted to see if there are any new theories on the matter…

For the first time in several years I had a BG mention something about ghost and being afraid of the hotel I stay in. I’ve seen post about the Nana hotel and was wondering if there was anything about the Royal Gardens in Pattaya. To be honest with you folks, I’m neither here nor there on the specter issue. If the girls believe in them, oh well, that’s how it goes I guess. I avoid questioning their aversions/beliefs and try not to “poke fun”.

Have many of you experience this sort of thing from any of the girls? Are they just afraid of the dark (which this girl seemed to be, wanted boom boom with the lights on… something I find rare), or do they really feel ghost are on the prowl. Who are these ghost… unfortunate BG’s from years gone by, tourist, etc??? Or is all of this part of Thai culture and lore. I know here in Hawaii “Obake” (Japanese for spirit or ghost) stories are quite prevalent. Most stem from Hawaiian legends but there are modern stories as well.

Anyway, this isn’t meant to be some kind of groundbreaking thread, I’m just curious if it happens often and if anyone has theories on why. I’ve stayed at the Gardens a bunch of times and haven’t had any problems with BG’s before. Most don’t seem to mind the rooms at all but do fear the “guest charge”, which I’ve been fortunate enough to avoid ;-)

Thanks,

Nakbin

laugh.gif" border="0

sorry... need a spell checker!!!! smile.gif" border="0

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: nakbin ]

Hi,

Yes, the fear is real. Most Thais are very superstitious.

It is not just ghosts (or 'phii') either, the superstition manifests itself in all kinds of forms, ghosts, charms, numberology (sp?), etc.

BTW, never heard about a ghost in the Nana, but I have heard about one in the Grace.

Sanuk!

PS I have written an article on superstition, but it is not up yet.

It is best not to even bring the subject up with BG's any where in SEA.

If they bring it up... Well I don't know, I'm a skeptic on these matters myself.

I have been a resident in a couple of Hotels that were "haunted" and never saw a frigging thing.

The girls didn't like it when I said,"What's that!" and "Whose there!"

Best bet would be to play it cool, there is nothing out there and cuddle.

I'm still waiting to see a ghost.

Archived